programs is confused on trackhat/ non trakhat

gau-8

programs is confused on trackhat/ non trakhat

Post by gau-8 »

i got my VECTOR working fairly good now, but i have run across a few items that need clarifying.

ill try to make it short and concise.

issue with VECTOR,

1.NON track-hat->
view turns upside down, very uncontrollable.. gets "lost", no amount of smoothing, profile changing lower/ higher /axis /reverse settings ..affects it, .

2.TRACK-HAT-> tracks very well, BUT its RELYING on the middle RED dot, rather than ignoring it.

when i turn side to side, the red dot disappears, leaving only the 3 tracking dots. when it ONLY sees the 3 tracking dots, it then treats the game as # 1 above. problem is, for the red dot to be visible, i have to leave the light filtering on its absolute lowest, which in turn then gets light sources ...

its like the programs says :aha! YOU HAVE the track-hat!, i will IGNORE the trackhat reflector, as if its not there. (turn just a little bit), HEY! you DONT have the trackhat!, i was wanting to ignore the reflector, and now its not there.. so i have nothing to ignore! bring it baaaack! i like to ignore the red dot!
Slice

Re: programs is confused on trackhat/ non trakhat

Post by Slice »

I covered up the hat dot with a bit of black tape. Works fine now.
gau-8

Post by gau-8 »

i think my first post can easily sound missleading, heres a better description of the porblem im having.

i CANT track whatsoever without the trackhat.

if i put the clip on a NON trackhat. it doesnt work.

if i have the clip ON a trackhat, it works fine to a point. heres my dilemma,

AS LONG AS the red dot is VISIBLE, it tracks nicely, but after small turning, the RED dot disappears, leaving only the 3 green dots (like im not using a trackhat). when the RED dot disappears, the tracking gets all jumbled again.

it NEEDS all 4 dots... but the red one dissapears after slight turning.

if i cover the red dot up, or switch to a regular hat, no amount of anything results in satifactory tracking, smoothing, slowing down speed, disabling any other axis.

ive tried "vector" and "dot " options, and the other "dot" or "trackhat" option.

it only wants to track when theres 4 dots. ONLY

which is fine i can live with that, except that the red dot dissapears much more quickly than the green dots do.
Slice

Post by Slice »

Make sure you have the unit about 30"-36" away from your hat. I moved it back behind my monitor and about 6 inches higher and it works great now.

Also do not have 4 dots that's not right, cover up the dot on the hat, everywhere I read that's what you should do.
gau-8

Post by gau-8 »

um... IT DOES NOT TRACK WITH ONLY 3 DOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I MUST HAVE THE TRACKHAT. WITH THE 4 DOTS.

PERIOD.. i CANT cover up the red dot. if i do. IT DOES NOT TRACK
steku

Post by steku »

In my case it track (almost) perfectly with three dots (those from vector accesory).

Are you sure you have vector enabled in your profile (the other option is dot). Look at Profile -> Motion -> Tracking type
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

gau-8

This sounds very odd.
Can you please send me a print screen of the tracking screen, showing that the unit is not tracking with three dots.
gau-8

Post by gau-8 »

ok, hope this works... not used to this, hope the images are good enought to work with.

when the red dot is visible, it works like so ...

but when i turn to the side, the red dot disappears, when this happens, its resorting only to the 3 green dots, it gets skewed.

another thing that i have noticed, is that when it is tracking fine, when my head is turned, and i perform a look up/look down action, i get a diagonal action. i have no true UP/DOWN look, unless looking strait ahead.
gau-8

Post by gau-8 »

wayne,

if you mean NOT TRACKING at all, the unit IS tracking the 3 dots. but ingame with only the 3 dots, it hangs/gets stuck,(i have to violently "buck" my head to get it unstuck) minor movements, generally get very very fast reactions, and directions go in well,..directions that i wasnt going for... ill see if i can make a recording of it going from game to desktop.
steku

Post by steku »

Looking at your screens I can see that when red dot disapears you have your head at extreme angle and the green dots are barely visible. TIR stops tracking in this position not because of disaperanig red dot but because of going out of range... The remaining traces of green dots in this position are not big enough for tracking.

When I have my head at more moderate angles I can cover my original TrackHat dot and the unit is still tracking (even better than with original TrackHat dot not covered).

From your screens I can see that your smoothing is very low - only 5. It can result with very "responsive" and nervous trackig. Some guys recommend smoothing set to 25 with Vector, I prefer more - in 40-50 range.

I too have "look straight down" stucks problem in FS2004. I recover by pressing recenter button or by pitching my head up to a position where central green dot disapears becasue peak of the hat goes between central dot and TIR (this only works if you have original TrackHat dot covered). Some debbuging is needed here.

I too discovered some couplings and dependecies between movements in different axes. For me 4.0.021 is worse here than 4.0.020 (I described it in another post).

[ January 05, 2005, 05:55 AM: Message edited by: steku ]