Look back and leaning is reversed

Slice

Look back and leaning is reversed

Post by Slice »

OK I have TrackiR 4.20 working great with CFS3.
I moved it to around 30" away from my head and the defaults work great.

However I have a problem, when looking behind and then I want to move my X position of head to lean left or right, the movement on screen is reversed. So I have to lean right to make the virtual head lean left.

However in the trackir "Heads" view, when I look back the lean is NOT reversed. Is this a bug?

[ January 01, 2005, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Slice ]
Charlie251

Re: Look back and leaning is reversed

Post by Charlie251 »

I wouldnt say it is a bug.... but it is a known issue and being looked at.
Slice

Post by Slice »

OK great thanks for the reply Charlie, I'll wait for an update if it is fixable.
609IAP_Recon

Post by 609IAP_Recon »

hehe, glad to see this - I thought it was just me and never said anything
Barred

Post by Barred »

I have done some fiddling around since someone (soory I can't rememer your name) sugested hlatteneing their caps peak.

I am not using the TrackHat as I have noticed at times the its reflector was being picked uo if one of the Vector's reflectors weht out of the sensor's range that erally confused the sensor.

I have fount that having a flat as possible cap peak and noving the vap back on my head untill the Vector was at a right angle to the sensor and just over 30inches apart. Since then I have not had the probel that you guys (and I was) having. Give it a go with the reflector in the centre of the sensors tracking view.

Good luck guys.
Slice

Post by Slice »

Barred, thanks but this is not the problem.
I have no problem at all with trackir it works great. This is a specific known glitch or bug with CFS3 support. Specifically look behind, then lean left, your head moves right and vice versa.

However if you look in the "heads" view monitor the head moves left when you lean left. So it's a problem with CFS3 support not a Trackir tracking problem.
oqvist

Post by oqvist »

About flattening the cap is it possible to have it 100 % straight easily?
JD

Post by JD »

It's a problem with the TrackIR software. The tilt head axis "is" backwards. All you need to do to correct the problem for now is to check the box to invert that axis in the TrackIR software.
If you enable the "heads" in mirror mode with the TrackIR software you can clearly see that this axis is backwards and you can see the results of checking the invert axis has on the output head.
Slice

Post by Slice »

Sorry I don't follow that, doesn't that mean if you invert the axis then when looking to the front it will move left when you move right? I don't want to fix the rear view at the expense of front view

I don't "tilt", I slide left or right.

To me it seems the Trackir software should *know* you have turned backwards and adjust slide left/right correctly.

[ January 15, 2005, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Slice ]
JD

Post by JD »

I'm confused as well as to what your having a problem with. I thought you were refering to the roll axis, but after opening up the TrackIR software I see that the X axis is move left and right.
But what I was pointing out was that the Roll axis is backwards.
If you look at the "your head" head, and you lean your head to the right, the "your head" image is leaning to the left. Or rather from it's point of view, it's also leaning to the right like you are. You have to check the invert axis for this roll axis in order for the "in game head" to lean left to mirror your movment.
Ultimately you want the ingame head to look and react as if you are looking into a mirror except for the values you change. The "your head" head should have already been looking exactly like your looking in a mirror. But it is not. the roll axis is mimicking your roll movement rather then mirroring it. This axis alone is reacting like you are looking at a video of yourself rather then looking into a mirror.
The axis for Roll(lean left/ right), yaw(look left/right, and X(move left/right) need to move opposite of your movement from the heads point of view in order to mirror your movement. All but one of these three axis are correctly mirrored except the roll axis.
I should point out that this is with the latest 4.021 software version.
I also should point out that I havent confirmed yet others are having this problem. I suppose they could have wired up my unit backwards or something with reguard to this axis.

[ January 16, 2005, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: JD ]