What is the perfect height for the TR unit?

graemeg

What is the perfect height for the TR unit?

Post by graemeg »

I have a F-16 cockpit, due to the config of the dash my TR sits well below eye level. I have made a rig to raise it and noticed that tracking is getting better, but it is very irratic. With the vector mode, it consistantly flips the head as described in other posts. I often can turn my head to the right perfectly to see the wings, but when I turn left I can only see left 20 degrees. The head tracking graphic only turns left 20 degrees, but I see the dot tracking my left movement all the way???

I sometimes see three dots plus one round one above the three. I will try to cover up the dot on the hat next, but was wondering what the optimum height should be. Where should the TR unit be in relation to my straight forward line of sight?

Thanks

[ January 04, 2005, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: FLASH ]
Barred

Re: What is the perfect height for the TR unit?

Post by Barred »

If you are using the Vector I find the following gets the best results for me.

Use a different cap than the TrackHat with a reletivly flat bill.
Have the TIR Sensor about 2 inches above the top of my head.
Have between 30-35 inches from the Vector and Sensor.
Adjust the sensor so that when you are sitting in your normal position the 3 green dots are in the centre of the tracking window.
If you are not using the Vector then use either the TrackHat and follow the above.
If you are using dots I found a diamond shape on it's side using 5dots worked best for me and follow the above.

Good Luck
graemeg

Post by graemeg »

Covered center dot on NP cap, this thing now rocks! Amazing flight experience. Tried with a regular cap and the vector cap attachment and is also rocks! Finally I am flying high!

No more head flipping and I now have full view on all rotation axis.

Yeahhh baby

[ January 04, 2005, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: FLASH ]
oqvist

Post by oqvist »

Why do it work better on a cap with a flatter bill?
Sulky

Post by Sulky »

The bill doesnt twist the front pair of reflectors.
So they look like this , _ _. Rather than like this , / \. It gives a much clearer input reference as rotational movement only moves in that plane. If twisted inwards, rotational movement has a vertical shift added as well. Its amasing to me how well the software allows for this warped input.
Sulk'
oqvist

Post by oqvist »

But why do they ship this with that bended bill then?
Barred

Post by Barred »

I suppose just incase no one has a cap. I know that in the UK you can get the Vector with out the cap. I use a Maiden cap as the bill is flatter.

To Flash I find haveing the sensor about 2" higher than the top reflector on the Vector. I tried it at the same hight and lower, and slightly higher works the best for me.