Tracking Problems

Charvel

Re: Tracking Problems

Post by Charvel »

quote:Originally posted by TBS_Billy885:
Wayne and mopheta, let me put my 2 cents in this. As mopheta said, with your profile Wayne, it is doing exactly as he said. I tryed the "Flight" profile which uses the "Smooth" profile and this seemed to disappear. I have not used any of this in the game, yet, but will soon and will let you know.

I went back and loaded the game and think I have found out what mopheta is talking about and tryed it on 3 profiles and it will do it on all three. Mopheta, check out this video (it will play on Windows Media Player) and see it this is what you are talking about. Then post here so Wayne will know, ok.

http://tbssquad.com/ar_files/trackIR3pro_2.zipMy take is that the user in that video is looking way too far down and on the edge of losing aspect of one of the dots. You can even see the lower right one turn red for a second which can explain a jump.

I would suggest moving your TIR sensor back another 6 inches. with vector there is far less need to bring the dot(s) closer for more accurate tracking. I can have my view stop on a dime with it and it's much improved over the single-dot method for accuracy.

My distance is about 32 inches between clip and sensor.
mopheta

Post by mopheta »

This problem did not happend two weeks ago for me. It happend now, with the same profiles, same distance to the TrackIR hardware, and all the same. I noticed big errors using 0.22 driver without touching anything.... one day I powered on my computer and TrakIR worked with errors. Then I downloaded the last v0.23 and this version correct some things, but with the error wroten.

The problem is not the distance, or the excesive angle of movement. If I modify the "shift entire curve" it happend the same problem doing a little movement of my head, and my head are very near to the center position of the "tracking" window.

There is a sofware bug, not a distance or angle problem. It happend at any distance, and my head is just at the same height fo the trackir.

To test this problem, the best is to use the minimun smoothing, but the esence of the problem is the same if I increase smoothing.

Make the investiment about the vector axes programation, because using only one dot the tracking is perfect.
TBS_Billy885

Post by TBS_Billy885 »

Hello all, wether I am sitting too close or looking to far down, I believe is not important. What I wanted to show was that at one point in the tracking the "Tracking" window shows my proper head position, but the "Heads" window does not. In the case of the .023 beta drivers, at one point my head is still but the "Heads" in the game are jumping around just a little and makes looking at the gauges a waist of time.

It looks like it is in the calculations of the head position to me. If this did not come accross then I oppologise for wasting your time.
Charvel

Post by Charvel »

I am not discounting the possibility or probability, as the case may be, that the problem is hardware or software related. I wanted to make note of my observations from the video so that it could be taken into account. Due to the frame-rate of the video capture it's somewhat difficult to see the jumps but they do seem to be there nonetheless.

I think there is something else to look into with USB traffic and/or CPU peaking. It's possible that another device on the bus is occassionally maxing out the available bandwidth and interfering with TIR. Also, some software in the background can cause 100% CPU usage spikes which can also affect USB transfers.

Just some other things that might bear looking into if it turns out there isn't a bug in the software or defective hardware. If it is software related, chances are it would affect more people but conversely it wouldn't be unusual for a bug to only affect a few people.

Hope you get this resolved, I know how frustrating it is when an input device doesn't work quite right.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks guys,

We are taking a look at this. Did everyone notice a difference between 4.022 and 4.023?
mopheta

Post by mopheta »

I�ve noticed a big difference between 0.22 and 0.23. Before I explained the differences for me.
TBS_Billy885

Post by TBS_Billy885 »

Yes, I sure did the lockup on the pitch is gone thanks for that. Only thing I found was the jitters on the look down at gauges and only sometimes, but it would always look back up.
IV/JG51_Dart

Post by IV/JG51_Dart »

Well guys, I installed the latest version, .24, and I'm still getting the same exact problems. In the down view the head goes nuts and turns to the left or right when I look straight down.
mopheta

Post by mopheta »

This driver need a better finish. Strange things happend. Sometimes works fine, other with errors... and aparently there is no cause, no difference.

Errors doesn�t exist if I use only one dot.
TBS_Billy885

Post by TBS_Billy885 »

Gents, I tryed the .025 beta today and I am impressed. Much better then the .024. I also moved the receiver about 4 inches closer and almost 2 inches lower. Have not found any problems so far using the aggressive profile.

Good work!

[ May 17, 2005, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: TBS_Billy885 ]