Losing ones head(s)

von Baur

Losing ones head(s)

Post by von Baur »

Well, I got my unit working, loaded a couple of games and I'm starting to get accustomed to it. Of course, I stayed up until 5am getting accustomed to it, but, self-inflicted wounds, ya know? It's so great to be able to follow your target, be it an enemy aircraft against which you're locked in combat, a friendly aircraft you're trying to keep station with or an object on the ground, that I don't know how I managed all these years without it. I've even found that I have more of a feel for my aircraft's attitude and spatial position. Every aspect of the games is much more intuitive. I love it.

However, I must admit that all is not roses and sunshine. Along with some issues I'm working on regarding my joystick(s), I can't see the heads in the menu. The tracking and graph windows work perfectly, but when I try the heads window, all I get are two black boxes. All axes of movement function (I haven't got anything that is 6dof...yet ...but they function in the menu) and every area of the menu functions properly except that one. When I crank up a game that supports Enhance Mode (IL-2 or Target Ware) the blue light comes on. I just can't see the heads.

I seem to recall reading another thread that dealt with this same problem a while back, and I've looked for it but without success. Hopefully someone will have some ideas.
cudgel

Re: Losing ones head(s)

Post by cudgel »

hey Von, all my commands related to F7, F8, F12, did not work,BUT with my key board(Microsoft) the F lock was enabled. A button in the upper left hand side of keyboard. So for the last 3 years I didnt have any F commands at all. Now, it's great. F12 centers the heads spot on. Cudgel
von Baur

Post by von Baur »

OK, been about a week, now and I still can't see any heads. I realize that this may seem relatively unimportant, since the graphs work, but I get a better feel for something when I can look at the thing itself, rather than some charts that give a proprtional response analysis.

I've looked through the posts and can't find what I thought I'd seen earlier, so here I am again. Does anybody have any idea why all I get are two black boxes? And more importantly, how to fix it?

*holding microphone close to mouth*
"Is this thing on?"

[ March 13, 2005, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: von Baur ]
von Baur

Post by von Baur »

*bump*

Rinstalled XP and installed TIR and Vector. Got heads. Installed Sidewinder FF Pro stick, Yahoo messenger, one or two other things I think, no more heads. Uninstalled stick, still no heads.

Is there a conflict with anything that causes the heads to disappear? Does anybody have any ideas what is going on? Is there a secret handshake you need to get a response here that I don't know about?

Is anybody there?

Also, I can't get TIR to work in Flight Sim 2004. I'm having trouble installing it under XP, so I did so under 98SE, but when I ran it up (booted to XP) my views were controlled by the hat even though all lights were on on the TIR camera. I looked through the FS2k menu somewhat, but didn't see anything to change the view control. Did I miss something there?
Barred

Post by Barred »

von Baur, I have been fairly inactive the last few days, so I have not been about that much. I cant help with FS2004 as I do not have it.

Lets look at the other thinks since you reinstalled as there is no secret handshake for help I will if I can.

When you reinstalled your system did you install everything in one go between trying TIR for the first time and the subsiquent times when it did not work? I know that Yahomessenger does not cause those problems as I have it installed here (but I never use it). Just to be sure I would recomend that you can either try uninstalling your 'other bits' one by one or give Wayne an email directly as it might be a regestry conflict with another driver.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

von Baur,

This is very interesting as the headz view that you see is via the direct x interface.
Could you possibly back track to see what caused this view to be lost?
von Baur

Post by von Baur »

OK, Wayne, due to some other issues I had occasion to reinstall XP from scratch twice in the last 24 hours and here's what I found.

Each time I installed Track IR before any other hardware-specific drivers. The first time, the next thing I loaded was the driver for my video card...no heads. The second (and current) time, I have loaded everything except the video card driver and I'm still seeing the heads. It's a PNY NVidia 5200FX card and the driver I'm using is the most recent one on their website, the 66.93_win2kxp_english. I tried the cd drivers for the card but, probably due to other issues, my monitor wouldn't display anything at all, so I'm not too keen on giving that another shot.

At this point I know where the problem lies, generally speaking, and can't think of any way to get both the drivers and the heads. So my plan is to use the heads to set up my profiles the way I want them (which is mostly done anyway) and then install the drivers so I can take advantage of the video card's features. If you figure out something, please post it...I plan on stopping by and checking from time to time. Also be interesting to know if anyone else is using that video card with no problem.

Thanx.

ps...the card is PCI

[ March 25, 2005, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: von Baur ]
Barred

Post by Barred »

von Baur, it is interesting that you mentioned the the card is a PCI one. If you are running XP and have installed SP2, it and Dx9.c is based around AGP and PCIe, that is robably what is causing the problem as the TIR driver is trying to go through a graphics bus that you do not have.

To be honest (Wayne can verify this more than I can) I do not think the head's view is essential to the TIR working it is I think a quick graphical comparison as much as anything. I usually go more on the axis displays anyway.

Good Luck
Barred

Post by Barred »

I had the "what do you need all that for ?" when I demanded a certified P90 with 64meg of ram.

Up untill then I had been Amiga from the original A1000 to the A4000. I had a friend who went and sment a fortune on a 386 and was playing Stunt Car Racer. After a bit of watching the flicker and beeps eminating from the monitor and speakers, I said nothing, apart from oh so it is out then sort of thing. When he came around later I was running it on a A500 and I have never seen a grown man's face crumple when he saw the difference.

I still hate PC's but hay that is all there is these days (I know Mac's are there but I never liked them, had one and nah ), but considering all the components out there and how loos the specs really are it is suprising that the work at all.

I wish you well and we will be here if you want to natter.
von Baur

Post by von Baur »

Thanx, Barred, I'll look into that PCIe thing. My machine has been piecemeal upgraded from its original PII 400 w/6.4G hd (and everybody said "Why did you get something that big? You'll never use it all" ) configuration. Without some major modifications I won't be able to do any more with it, though.

I agree, the heads aren't essential to use, but they do make a quicker reference than going in and out of a game to get the settings the way you want them. So I set my profiles using them and then installed the video card drivers. As expected, the heads have disappeared, but I've got it tweaked to my taste so I'll live without them. Of course, if anyone comes up with a way for me to get them back with this setup, I'd appreciate it.