Missing 1 DOF in MS:CFS3

DickDastardly

Missing 1 DOF in MS:CFS3

Post by DickDastardly »

Hi all,
I bought the VE some time ago, but shelved it and returned to using just my Trackhat as I seemed to get much better results with just the hat (in the 2DOF-only IL2 series).

Recently, however, I thought I'd give it another go so I bought a copy of CFS3 to try the full 6DOF. After a bit of experimenting I realised that I'd been sitting far too close to the tracker when I first tried it with the VE and now that I've balanced the tracker on a cardboard box on top of the back of my monitor it works great - being able to lean forward to look in my gunsight really adds to the immersion.

The only problem is I'm only getting 5DOF - I can move up/down/left/right and change pitch and yaw, but rolling my head has no effect at all in-game (though in the heads preview window in the TrackIR software it works fine).

Can anyone suggest a fix, or does this game not actually support "full 6DOF control" as promised on the Natural Point site? (BTW I'm using the latest 4.0 build 23 s/w and the 3.1a CFS3 patch).

Cheers,
DickDastardly

PS Would it be possible to add another hotkey in a future update of the s/w to centre and then disable the left/right & up/down movement axis?

This would be a huge help for combat simmers because you really don't want your head to be off-centre when you're trying to aim. ATM the only way to get an accurate shot when using the VE is to centre the view and then try desperately not to move your head at all when you're shooting (or turn off the trackIR altogether).

With the new hotkey I'm proposing you could simply tap it once when you're likely to be shooting soon and then you'd know the position of your head was centred (and therefore lined up properly with the crosshair) yet you'd still be able to look around (ie roll/pitch/yaw/zoom). When the shooting is over, you would simply hit the hotkey again to restore input on all axis (allowing you to lean over the side of your cockpit to view your victim's crash site).

[ March 21, 2005, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: DickDastardly ]
Mat_P

Re: Missing 1 DOF in MS:CFS3

Post by Mat_P »

Looks as if roll is dissabled in most profiles.
Go to edit your active profile and just check that box.

[ March 22, 2005, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: Mathias ]
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

DickDastardly,

Roll is disabled in CFS3, due to an issue with the panel and gunsight. Microsoft did not allow for any type of roll view when the game was developed.

Mathias is correct the roll is normally disabled, but can be added through your profile.

[ March 23, 2005, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint - Wayne ]
DickDastardly

Post by DickDastardly »

Mathias: Thanks for taking the time to reply and try to help, but I'd already enabled all axis in the TrackIR s/w (and the preview heads work fine in all 6DOF).

Wayne: quote:Originally posted by NaturalPoint - Wayne:
DickDastardly,

Roll is disabled in CFS3, due to an issue with the panel and gunsight. Microsoft did not allow for any type of roll view when the game was developed.

Mathias is correct the roll is normally disabled, but can be added through your profile.Wayne, the last line of your post is a bit ambiguous: Are you saying that there is some way to enable roll in MSCFS3? Or are you just talking about in other games? If the latter (and if MSCFS3 therefore only actually supports 5DOF), you might want to remove the following text from your website:

"FULL 6DOF is supported in MSFS2004 and CFS3 on launch.....Combat Flight Simulator 3: Hunt amongst the clouds now with full 6DOF control!"

Cheers,
DD

[ March 28, 2005, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: DickDastardly ]