Desperate: Pitch not working

pikas53

Desperate: Pitch not working

Post by pikas53 »

OK, here's the story: I placed the TrackIR near perfect above the monitor and run Version 4.23 . It works absolutly perfect in Dot configuration. But there is no way I can get it run in Vector mode. As soon as some pitch movement is down, head jumps spastically to all sides. This happens only when looking down. Even so, there is only a small or no movement down anyway. The 3 points are perfectly in the middle. So no problem with setup.
The Yaw and the X- axis are jumping like mad, even after centering and even when I don't move at all! I did an uninstall and an reinstall, nothing works, no unplugging absolutly nothing!
Fact is the vector is not working anymore, anyone else knowing this problem?? Please help!
pikas53

Re: Desperate: Pitch not working

Post by pikas53 »

Thanks for the reply, Herr von Bauer. Fact is I was searching for the pitch in the track3 Forum, but nothing there fits, so I put here without checking, and now looking back I feel rather foolish. Anyway, your advice is good but your configuration of the TrackIR is nearly exactly the my own at the moment. Approximatly 70 cm from my head on a shelf 5cm above the TFT aligning with vector device in an angle of not more than approximatly 10degrees.
In the posts I checked I also found no real answers or say a solution, except it must be something with the software itself. Looking back I had to say it all started with the installation off cfs3.
I used the device together with IL2 and PF for Months without any problems! It just started all out off the blue and with the installation off cfs3 AND the installation of Version 4.23.
Anyway I will be glad for any advice which I can try to check my own.
TBS_Billy885

Post by TBS_Billy885 »

Well with .024 I am 32 inches from camera and this is the worse version yet, once you looked down. Jumps, freezes and wont look back up most of the time.

Bad move guys.
Barred

Post by Barred »

Billy try moving it back a few more inches. Mine is at 36" and I am having no problems with pitch or any other movement directions.

If you are using the TrackHat with your Vector and have not blanked off the built in reflector please give it a go or use a different cap. It really is important to have the reflectors pointing directly at the Sensor, and to make sure that the top of any of the reflectors are becomming edge on to the Sensor. Try moving the cap to the top of your head a bit more, it cured it for me.
von Baur

Post by von Baur »

Oops, forgot about angling the cap up slightly. It's just become automatic for me. Good point, Barred. Try adding that, guys.
von Baur

Post by von Baur »

Move it back, sir. There have been several threads regarding this, and I experienced it myself. The problem comes from the angle of the reflectors relative to the camera.

For optimum operation the camera must be perpendicular to the vertical axis of the reflectors. If the camera is closer than 18"-24" the slightest downward movement messes that up and the view goes screwy (sorry for the technical talk).

Even though all the literature recommends less than 18" from camera to reflectors it's best to keep it over 24" and some have apparently put it all the way out to about 4'. Personally, I fixed mine to the back of my computer desk above the monitor. It's now about two feet from the lower reflectors and I haven't had any problems since. Give it a shot.
mopheta

Post by mopheta »

This is the same problems written in "Tracking problems" post. I have this problem, and the angle is not a solution. All worked fine for 1 month, and one day voila..... jumps. If it would be the angle or anything like this, the 3 yellow dots would have tracking errors or something alerting us that the angle is not properly.

In my case, the tracking of the 3 yellow dots are perfectly recognized, and centered. If these yellow dots are well recognized, your positioning is perfect. Must be a sofware problem because the problem is between the perfect input and the output problems of the system.

Another thing to be present is that the problem only happend using vector expansion. If you configure your trackir driver for using only dot, the problem dissapear.

The solution is in the NPoint hands, by a new driver without this bug.
pikas53

Post by pikas53 »

OK, yes thats it Mr.von Bauer! Hours of hours and the solution is so simple: just move the cap a little bit up et voil�, no more spastic movements! Soo simple.
Anyway it is first far from perfect and it should work how ever your cap sits, but I am pragmatic and I can use it now! By the way I increased the range also a little to 30" abot 80cm. Works ok now.
Hope it will help some people: beware the cap!
Thanks again!
Btw. how does 4.24 is working? Better or worse?
von Baur

Post by von Baur »

Cool deal, Pik. Happy to be of assistance. Another individual resolved the problem in a rather unique manner see

http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ ... 117#000000

and the picture at

http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ ... 118#000000

I'm thinking of doing something similar with some 3/8" automotive hose. If I ever get around to it, I'll post the results.