just got my TIR3Pro + VE_need advice

Pedro88

just got my TIR3Pro + VE_need advice

Post by Pedro88 »

Hi:
I'm sitting here with my NaturalPoint hat with vector clip on my head, reading through the forums, completely confused

I think this isgonna take a lot longer to set-up and get used to than I'd anticipated. Making the right profiles, etc.....sounds complex.

Anyway, I haven't installed the software from the CD yet, because I thought I'd see if it's been updated here on the site. Turns out I have version 4.0.024 but I see there's been a new update that sounds like it has some greatly improved features, but it's Beta?

Should I START OUT with the CD software version, since I assume it's more reliable, etc., or is the new public beta OK for a complete newbie to start with?

Also, while I'm here, just want to say that I plan on using this with a bunch of my favorite racing sims: GTR, F1ch (w/Prototype C, SCC, RH and CDTP mods), RBR, and NSR. I'd REALLY appreciate if anyone who uses the TIR3Pro with all or any of these same games can PM me with some beginner advice or share a profile here and there

One more thing - I have a German version of GTR, patched to 1.4 (someone was selling it a while ago at rsc forum, and I just couldn't wait!) - anyone know if I will be able to get full 6DOF with this updated German GTR, or do I have to go buy a U.S version for it to work??

Thanks very much, all. Can't wait to get this all set up!

Peter D
pepper

Re: just got my TIR3Pro + VE_need advice

Post by pepper »

first, congrats with your TIR, you will notice that you cant do wihtout it anymore very soon!

The software hasnt changed much, except they added mouse emulation, with this program you can take control over your mouse in any game. You can always upgrade the software if you got .24 installed. I upgraded wihtin 4 minutes.

If you want a good profile check those on the download page, but i usualy prefer setting acceleration to smooth and change the curves a bit, its really no big deal, dont be afraid to fiddle around wiht it. If anything go's wrong you can always turn it back or start over. If you want your profile to work in a game i recommend to go into a game, change the profile it is using and test it our for a while, if you dont like it change it and test again. Do this over and over again until your happy with it. If you are you can copy it to a other place or to a floppy/cd to keep it as a back-up in-case you need to format your computer.

I dont think the german version should make a difference, when the game will be patched to the 6DOF mode they probably will also patch the german version, if they dont they will get a lot of angry gamers on them, and that is the last thing a Gamedesigner wants. they want to keep there fan base happy, including the german one.

I hope this will get you on the way a bit. The program may work almost out of the box, but you need to spend some time adjusting it to yourself. Because everyone is different i cant say how YOU should set it up, only give you advise.
Barred

Post by Barred »

Hi Pedro and welcome to the world of TIR.

I will start with the set up first, because once that is done any potential problems then will be down to profiles.

A good start is to have the sensor about 30-36" (90-95cm) from the reflectors and about 2" (5cm) above the top reflector on the Vector, when you are sitting at your normal place.

Adjust the sensor so that all three green blips in the tracking view is central and that the ingame head is moving to it's extreems whilst you are sitting in your normal 'neutral position'. If ou are using the cap or see 4 dots cover up the reflector on the cap or use a different cap (A flatter bill will help with precision with tracking).

Now that the hardware is set up it is time for the profile, which is not as difficult as it might seem at first.

Create a new profile and call it Mine (for now).
Open the 'edit' window and select "edit Yaw".
On the top right side of the window there is an up/down arrows next to "Shift entire curve" move the curve down 3 or 4 'clicks'.
Then select "copy curve axis to 'ALL'", the OK.

If the speed is still too hight then bring the smoothing down a bit (try 20) as the lower it is the slower it is.

TIR (and Vector) works in 6 DOF very well in GTR, it will take some getting use to, but the best thing to do is to try and not think about your head movement and to stay as relaxed in the neck and shoulders as you can. If you get a head ache (which has been reported by a few new users) leave the game and go focus on something in the distance, going for a short walk helps; this happens because some people forget to bling and are staring at the screen whilst being tense in the neck. Going for a walk really does help. At first with TIR I would sugest taking TIR in short goes and build up the time that you are using it.

With RBR you will need the second patch and TIR will work with pitch and yaw only (no 6DoF), but it is still worth while to use the vector as TIR works better with it.

There is a lot of info here for you to try, if you get stuck or have any questions, then please post and the comunity here will help.

Most of all Enjoy your TIR and do not worry about it's use and you will get the most out of it.

You can get a copy of my profile from http://www.gtr-game.com/forums/index.ph ... ir+profile

[ May 19, 2005, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Barred ]
Pedro88

Post by Pedro88 »

Thanks for all your help, Barred!! Last night I downloaded your GTR profile, and it just happened to be absolutely PERFECT for me!! Took me only a few minutes to get used to it, but then I was having a ball driving Barcelona in a Viper, leaning into turns, looking out the side windows and mirrors, zooming up really close to the windshield so I could see the lines better, etc. It was awesome! Only thing I'm wondering: A few times when I ended up in the sandtraps and needed to reverse back onto the track, I turned my head, thinking that the in-game head would do a 180 so I could see out the rear window; but I noticed that the in-game head stopped when it reached the side windows, no matter how far I turned my real head. Is your profile set up to stop the GTR Yaw angle at 90 degrees right & left? If so, what must I change to be able to have the in-game head able to turn 180 degrees to look out the rear window for when I need to? On that note, is it possible to achieve this "Yaw increase" WITHOUT overly-accelerating & destabilizing your current GTR profile?

Lastly, I read elsewhere that 6DOF is NOW possible in F1 challenge '99-'02, but when I tried it last night with the default racing profile, I only had some rigid Yaw and Pitch, 2Dof only.

Is it true that 6DOF is possible in F1 challenge? If so, what do I have to do to get it working? Do I need to use 3rd party utilities, like tir2joy and PPJoy, or stuff like that?

Thanks again for your help!

Peter D
Barred

Post by Barred »

Hi Peter glad you like the profile.

The view limits are not due to TIR but GTR. If you go into your .plr file and add the following

TrackIR Pitch Down Limit="-0.16000" // Min: -1.00, Max: 0, Default: -0.15
TrackIR Pitch Up Limit="0.16000" // Min: 0, Max: 1.00, Default: 0.05
TrackIR Yaw Left Limit="-0.60000" // Min: -1.00, Max: 0, Default: -0.40
TrackIR Yaw Right Limit="0.60000" // Min: 0.00, Max: 1.00, Default: 0.40
TrackIR Roll Left Limit="-0.00000" // Min: -1.00, Max: 0.00, Default: -0.075
TrackIR Roll Right Limit="0.00000" // Min: 0.00, Max: 1.00, Default: 0.075
TrackIR Move Left Limit="-0.15000" // Min: -1.00, Max: 0.00, Default: -0.05
TrackIR Move Right Limit="0.15000" // Min: 0.00, Max: 1.00, Default: 0.05
TrackIR Move Down Limit="-0.15000" // Min: -1.00, Max: 0.00, Default: -0.05
TrackIR Move Up Limit="0.12000" // Min: 0.00, Max: 1.00, Default: 0.03
TrackIR Move Forward Limit="-0.25000" // Min: -1.00, Max: 0.00, Default: -0.25
TrackIR Move Back Limit="0.25000" // Min: 0.00, Max: 1.00, Default: 0.25

Try increasing the 2 Yaw limits beyound.4 to your liking that should do it for you.

As for the F1 game I have no idea I am afraid, maybe Warren can say when he gets back from E3. I do not have the game so I can not even load it to try for you, and like you I am just a user, not an employee for Natural Point.

GL and enjoy TIR

Alex