Vector and Z800

mopheta

Vector and Z800

Post by mopheta »

This is not a demand or petition, only a dream. We are only a few people with eMagin Z800 or other HMD, and there is no reason to spent too much time doing a vector clip working in special for HMDs users... but....

Would be great to have a future vector clip with support for HDM users. I�m thinking about a clip with 3 spheres with different sizes and located somethig more high in our head than the actual clip. And using the same TrackIR hardware but working with this clip and this clip option in the driver (of course) to track all posible movements of our head.

Then it would not be necessary to play with any acceleration, and movements would be inclusive more realistic and precises, no tracking dots lost, and the freedom that only the real life give us. We only would lost the tracking spheres if we are viewing our shoes having the TrackIR behind.

But I understand it would be a great effort and I understand that there is no people to justify it. But it would be a steep behind to the future of the VR using TrackIR.
von Baur

Re: Vector and Z800

Post by von Baur »

Not an unrealistic request, IMO, mopheta. I don't have an hmd, but I've felt that using one in combination with a head-tracking system set at a 1-1 ratio would be the ultimate in immersion since as early as 1999. And considering the way things go in the PC gaming world, we can expect more and more people to invest in hmd's. Wouldn't be surprised if this is not already being explored. In fact I think I would be surprised if no one at Natural Point has thought of it yet.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Great to hear that somone has a Z800 and a TrackIR. I have a Z800 on order now. We would love to come up with a custom Vector clip for the Z800 and I have it on my list of things to do. I have contacted eMagin, but they seem very busy and not interested in working with us. Perhaps you could send them an email with your idea? It would be interesting to read their response.

One thing about the Z800 is that it only emulates a mouse for view control and therefore only has 2DOF control. We have 6DOF control and direct support in many titles, so a combination could be nice. I also noticed drift and lag when using the included head tracker, so an optical solution should be the way to go.
NombreyApellido

Post by NombreyApellido »

I'm also using a Z800 combined with TrackIR 3 PRO w/ Vector Expansion. I tried to use three big square dots on the Z800 and some light filtering, but I could not get them to work properly. Instead of left/right, for example, I get fore/backwards movement.
If there's any info of a possible solution, please share!

/Chris
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Well, I got my Z800 and glued the Vector Clip to the front of it; works like a charm! I gave a demo to the folks at eMagin a week ago or so and they also really liked it, so we will see what happens.
Oracle

Post by Oracle »

quote:Originally posted by NaturalPoint - Jim:
they also really liked it, so we will see what happens.Hmm, does this mean a possible merging of the trackIR APIs with the inputs from HMD sensors? That would be pretty cool.

How well did this work for you if you needed to type on a keyboard? I've never seen a demo of a HMD or the TrackIR.

The obvious benefits of the TrackIR are that you have your eyes looking at the same environment.

Does the HMD allow you to look down and at a real "control panel" aka keyboard without flipping the visor up? I have a HOTAS setup, but sometimes you still need to type something or use an uncommon command.
GianCarlo

Post by GianCarlo »

My guess is that a merging of the APIs would only be handy if you wanted to use the z800's rotation tracking and the TrackIR's rotation and/or translation tracking and doing some logic between them. But why not use the TrackIR for everything?... The TrackIR4 supposedly has a response time of just over 6ms and a refresh rate of 120Hz. That should be plenty good.

I just would like to see the following improvements to the TrackIR software for HMD users:

1. 90 degree axis rotation option for mounting the TrackIR camera overhead.
2. Customizable ranges of position mapping to virtual keyboard key(s). For example, moving your head lower into a customizable range would activate a key you have mapped to "crouch" in the game. Or moving 1 foot forward could activate "move forward" key. Moving one more foot forward could activate the "run" and "move forward" keys. You could think of the same for lean, move left, move right, jump, etc...
3. An option to activate logic that will automatically rotate the virtual directional key assignments when you rotate your head so if you turn and step forward, you will turn and step forward in the game also.

As for needing more buttons for flight or racing sims or other applications, there are wireless keyboards out there that one could mount to a swivel chair or have in your lap. It's my understanding of the z800 that you can look straight down under the goggles to see your keyboard if you need to.

[ January 27, 2006, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: GianCarlo ]