TrackIR + VE with BoBII Wings of Victory

borton

TrackIR + VE with BoBII Wings of Victory

Post by borton »

I have checked through the other postings (honest ) but can find no reference to my problem.

First, let me say that TrackIR + VE with BoBII is magnificent - except when it suddenly goes haywire that is. On some sorties, if I look upwards too far, I'm presented with the back of my seat. On other occasions, the forward view zooms in and out on its own.

Somebody in the BoBII forums suggests that I do not have the hat on in the correct position. If this is the case, then what is the correct position and, surely, it is not that sensitive?

It is a great shame as , when everything is working properly, TIR+VE in combination with BoBII is something else!

Yes, I have downloaded and installed the latest software AND (a flipping miracle ) updated my video card drivers.

My set up is:

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ DDR
1Gb PC3200 400FSB DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro XT 256Mb AGP 8x DDR
Cyborg 3D Gold with Pedals and Throttle on CopyCat system
TrackIR3 Pro with Vector Expansion
DirectX 9.0c
Windows XP

[ November 08, 2005, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: borton ]
Barred

Re: TrackIR + VE with BoBII Wings of Victory

Post by Barred »

Who ever gave you that info in the BoBII forum is correct about the hat by the sounds of it.

I take it that you have your camera between 26-30 inches from the Vector clip and it is ontop of your monitor.

From your normal neutral position have a look in the tracking and head windows and adjust your cap so that the triangle has a horizontal base and is equilateral. Adjust the camera (you might need some help or make the adjustments bit by bit and going back to check) so that the triangle is in the centre of the tracking window.

That should sort your tracking out. Sometimes the software does not pick up the centering once one of the reflectors has gone either edge on or out of the camera's FoV. This happens more often and there is a diminishing of the Vectors accuratcy if the camera is too close.

Good Luck and let me know if that sorts your problem for you :S!

[ November 08, 2005, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Barred ]
borton

Post by borton »

Thanks, Barred! That seems to have done the trick. The distance between the Vector clip and the average of the 3 reflectors is about 24ins. Because of my CopyCat system, I can't really vary this.

If it works, attached is a relevent screen shot. (It did! )

BTW What is the red dot at the bottom? It turns to green if I cover the top reflector.

[ November 08, 2005, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: borton ]
Barred

Post by Barred »

I would either cover the reflector in the TrackHat or use a different hat if you do not want to do that. Personally I use an Iron Maiden FC hat. I sometimes get a couple of small red reflections off my glasses but noting like the Hat's reflector

Glad it is working for you :S!
borton

Post by borton »

Doh! I should've thought of that!

Knew that roll of black insulating tape would come in useful one day.
Retro

Post by Retro »

That's the reflective strip on the hat itself (remember that this trackhat should work with non-VE TIR as well). Quite a few people cover it with some duct tape or similar, because it seems to confuse the tracking software at times.

IMO the erratic views you sometimes get is if one of the reflectors get outside the tracker's field of view and it tries to reinterpret the remaining dots.. so yes, take care to have the hat centered in the tracker's fov, if necessary adjust it up/down/left/right or move it farther back (my tir is about a meter from the hat..)