Possible Problem with USB 2

kohlmann

Possible Problem with USB 2

Post by kohlmann »

I have just finished putting together a new machine. Windows XP Pro, P4 2.8, 1GB, Radeon 9800. Everything works great except my trackIR. I cannot get it to be recognized during the installation process. I disconnect the trackIR, run the lastest software install, and reconnect the trackIR after reboot. Nothing. It isn't even recognized as a new device by Windows XP. The only thing I think may be the issue is that the new box supports USB 2 instead of just USB like my old machine. I've checked the USB ports and don't have problem with other devices. I will try the TrackIR out this weekend on my old computer to see if the trackIR hardware is at fault.

Any suggestions would be greatly welcome.
kohlmann

Re: Possible Problem with USB 2

Post by kohlmann »

After I posted this, I saw the long posting that looks like a very similar problem. I will follow that thread instead. Thanks!
graemeg

Post by graemeg »

had my trackIR1 working great until I upgraded XP home to PRO. Now I can't find the device. I have followed all of Natural Point instrucs to clean unistall, reinstall etc. Everytime I plug in the device the installer can't find the 2.11 drivers. I even tried 3.1 with same results. I point to the orig cd or the hard drive and it ant locate the drivers for the device.

Thanks for any tips.
AV8R

Post by AV8R »

Same thing here. I wish NP support would weigh in and answer this common problem for us.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Seeing as how it works fine on my XP Pro machine, maybe NP support is still trying to figure it out.

I know that TrackIR does not like working on USB 2.0 ports, at least on my system.

We also know that the TIR1 does not like working with 3.0+ drivers.

The best advice I can give is ensuring all traces of the TrackIR are unintalled from the registery and device manager, no drivers remaining loaded, and then re-installing everything.

Try different USB ports as well.
AV8R

Post by AV8R »

Hi Charlie,

Heres some data points for on system compatibility: I have two TIR1 devices, and many home systems...

TIR1 works on WinXP Home SP1 on my TC1000 which has onboard USB2.0, and I ran both 2.11 and 3.1 software successfully. Unfortunately this is a tablet PC, not a gaming platform. But it does give a good reference point for this investigation.

TIR1 did work on WinXP Home SP1 on my Abit TH7II RAID MB. (1+ years old with USB 1.1), but the MB died recently.

TIR1 does not work on WinXP Home SP1 on my Asus P4S533 MB with USB1.1.

TIR1 does not work on WinXP Home SP1 on my new Intel 845GE MB (FIC system) with onboard USB2.0, or with the addon PCI USB1.1 hub.

So we have two MB and USB subsystem chipsets that work (HP and Abit), and two that did not (Asus and Intel) with TIR1 with either software versions (2.11 or 3.1).

This problem is a compatiblity issue. And currently there isnt any workaround or known reason to show the customer how to deal with past and future PC system purchases.

AV8R

[ December 30, 2003, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: AV8R ]
jfarthrough

Post by jfarthrough »

I have an ASUS motherboard, with AMD 1900 1000MB of RAM ... I have the following USB 2.0 divices: Motherboard with 4 ports, a USB PCI card with 4 ports and a HUB with four ports. I haven't been able to get TrackIR to work. Seems to be a compatibility issue. I did read the treads prior to installation... I did install prior to plugging in my TrackIR. It's getting later so I check in tomorrow.
kohlmann

Post by kohlmann »

I finally found the time to fix this problem. I went back to my ASUS board bios and did a couple of things. First, I disabled USB 2.0, I then explicitly enabled "legacy" USB support. That combination seems to have fixed the problem and my machine recognizes the TrackIR just fine now. It is a joy to use on a fast machine with either FS2004 or IL2 FB.
snake122

Post by snake122 »

Unfortunately, the BIOS trick doesn;t work for everybody (me included). For more info on this problem, please see this thread with over 70 posts of people trying stuff. http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ ... 3;t=000210
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

Just to add.

Running a TrackIR2 (and a V1 before that) on a P4C800-E 'board. USB 2 ports fully enabled.

XP Pro, SP1. Latest BIOS

No problems in this situation thankfully.