TrackIR1 - 3.01 - very jittery

9./JG54_Kirin

TrackIR1 - 3.01 - very jittery

Post by 9./JG54_Kirin »

Greetings aces,

I've been enjoying my TrackIR for more than a year now and I couldn't fly without it anymore.

The 2.11 software worked flawlessly on my system so far. Now, I've recently upgraded to 3.01 and suddenly experience following problem(s):

- I't almost impossible to hold a steady position. The view keeps jittering/jerking with a very small, but very annoying deflection.

I tried different settings. Played around with the preferred dotsize slider from 10-200. Set smoothing from 0-100. Tried out different dot sizes and shapes. (I was using a 3 dot setup on my microphone boom).

It almost feels like spiking on a joystick with worn out pots. First I thought my head was starting to shake - felt like having Parkinson on the screen....

Any advice?

Specs:

2.4 AMD Athlon TB
1 GB PC2700 RAM
Radeon9700Pro
Audigy2

Game: IL2:FB in enchanced mode

----

2nd prob:
This might be purely FB related. But with the RC01 patch in FB I am getting bad stuttering while panning. Seems to be less prominent when TrackIR disabled...

9./JG54 Kirin
Charlie251

Re: TrackIR1 - 3.01 - very jittery

Post by Charlie251 »

Do you have TIR2 plugged into a USB 2.0 port.

Same problem here until I moved it to a USB 1 port and now I have no problems at all.
MaxWatts

Post by MaxWatts »

I had very a similar experience after upgrading from 2.11 to 3.01, thankfully for me though 3.02 has solved the problem and works great in FB on default settings. Did the upgrade go smoothly? I seem to remember that during my upgrade to 3.01 there was a problem with a driver not being overwritten or something similar, the upgrade to 3.02 when smoothly. Sorry I can't be more precise.
Gundog

Post by Gundog »

I had the same problem as you guys, it was awful. Heres hoping the 3.02 cures it. If not I'll go back to the 2.11's.
RC

Post by RC »

I have the same problem.
I went back to 2.11 and the problem is still there if not worse. Its not smooth and jerks way to fast. I'm unable to track anything.

[ November 17, 2003, 02:23 AM: Message edited by: RC ]
Schallmoser

Post by Schallmoser »

Hi everybody,

I had the same problem just before it didn't work anymore at all.

The following worked for me:

- Uninstall 3.01
- reboot 2 times
- clean the whole registry from any reference of "TrackIR", "Natural Point" or "ECT eye control technology"
- reboot twice again
- check your bios USB settings (make sure it has the IRQ that you were using before)
- delete any unknown USBdevice under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB

- install TIR v2.11
- reboot again
- plug in your TIR device and wait for the driver wizard to install the drivers
- start your TrackIR software
- that should work!!

HTH

Best regards
Schallmoser
RC

Post by RC »

I moved iit into another USB port, the one near the keyboard and mouse. Is that the correct USB port. It seemed to have helped but I haven't tried it enough.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

RC:

There really is no "right" USB port. It all depends on your system and drivers on how well the TIR will perform in a 1.0 or 2.0 USB port.

Regardless of the position of the USB port on the computer, all of the 1.0 ports will perform the same unless there is damage to the port itself. Same goes for the 2.0 ports.

If you have found an increase in performance switching ports, and it is the same speed as the port you had it in before, I would test the old port as it may be defective.
nealg

Post by nealg »

Hi. Well, I tried out the 3.02 beta software today. As Birch noted, the twin tracking window is still there - although it is just a black window now, with no twin green dot that didn't move when the actual one did - and it seems to be working ok.

My PC has USB 2.0 ports. I have one powered hub that is USB 1, but of course plugged into a USB 2 port on the PC. With 2.11, I ran the unit fine plugged directly into the PC, but I tried it out in the hub when I installed 3.02, just to see, and it runs the same as it did in 3.01.

What jittery movement I had is still present, but it isn't much, and only at certain places, so mine is likely related more to my settings and where I have to place the unit.

Anyway, 3.02 seems to be working fine without the need to reduce the software's affinity mask to one CPU when HT is enabled...except for the tracking window. I can clear that with a desktop refresh, and it doesn't seem to affect the gameplay at all that way.

I only use TIR with Forgotten Battles, so others mileage may vary, dependent upon system and software used with it.

WinXP Home
P4 3.06 @ 533 : HT on
Abit BE7 motherboard
Intel Application Accelerator
1024 meg DDR RAM
GF4 Ti 4600 w/ 45.23 nvidia drivers
NEC 18" LCD monitor
TIR1 w/ 3.02 beta software

Note to 'Charlie' ; in another area here, you posted a explanation of how the edit points related to speed settings and grouping and locking....it was a detailed explanation, and was what I had been looking all over for since I got this thing. Just want you to know that I really appreciate your taking the time to explain those things, and it unlocked for me the ability to create my own profiles to my liking. Sometimes 'thank you' isn't said enough....but I have read many of your posts trying to help users, and you do a great job of explaining things. So,,,Thank You!

It IS appreciated.
grantikins

Post by grantikins »

Running W2k, I had v2.11 track IR version 1
and has been running smooth.

Installed version 3.01 and I get a delay that can bee seen clearly.

I also get the jerkyness when moving. The test tracking dot in the MOTION screen shows it jumping around as though it's detecting the tracking from different parts of my dot set up

(the mouse when using it in windows as a mouse actually jumps around.)

Uninstalling and going back to version 2.11, I still get the jerky problems now. When I see the green rectangle it's flashes now more with the color purple/pinky green and is almost impossible to get and keep steady green.

The WEIRD THING is the TRACKINg screen moves smooth the yellow cluster of my detected reflective dots, very smooth as a whole but it's flicking fast with losts of tiny red clusters.

Moving back the MOTION SCREEN , I can't move my head thus making the yellow pin spot (dot) move smooth left or right with it it pausing and then contining. this could be were the version 3.01 and 3.02 is showing a delayed action as it catches up with the co-ordinates transmitted.

** The test display showing the co-ordinates , when I move my head , so if I move my head contuous in a circle,( apart from getting dizzy ;-) it should keep the coordinates displayed all the time. But it doesn't do this it flahses on and off **

My Dot setup is a 2 by 5 rectangle. 18 inches from dot to track IR.

I only use it for IL2 FB: but as these problems show in windows and the track IR test program then it's not worth talking about FB

I have a drive image of a working version so can hopefully step back to as it used to be. Nice smooth on 2.11v