Trying to re-install Tracker

Asking4Dylan

Trying to re-install Tracker

Post by Asking4Dylan »

I am trying to re-install my son's Track IR serial number 006809 on our desktop running XP Home with SP 2 installed. I know the TIR works since we can run it on a laptop. When I turn it on on the desktop I get a msg stating that computer can not connect with Trackir Device. Program will start but there will be no mouse control. I don't have the original CD that came with the TIR since he uses one at school also and they lost both CD's. Instead I downloaded TrackIR3.13 which says it is good for all versions.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Darrin
Barred

Re: Trying to re-install Tracker

Post by Barred »

I have had that happen before but I was installing a different device. I just unpluggeged the mouse and everything worked OK afterwards. Having the original does not make a difference (except that I kept my dots in the CD case, I have alwaysed used the drivers of the NP site as they are often updated by the time my unit arrives.

Does this happen every time?

I would check these things off :-
That the TIR is not running via a HUB.
I would see if I am running the mouse on say port 1 and the TIR on port 3 (different path ways some times odd and even use the same path as does 1&2 depending on the motherboard).
That you are not over taxing your PSU.
If nonr of the above plug the TIR into a different port but cancle the Add Hardware wizzard and just run the TIR software that should in theory find the camera.

One of the above normally sorts the problem out. I think it is a combination of XP, Mouse Driver, TIR. My main thought is that because XP already has a mouse driver installed that when TIR is installed for the first time the Install wizard throws a wobbly and turns off the moue because you are adding another pointing device.

Please let me know how you get on and we can take other steps that might help before emailing NP.
ray

Post by ray »

Hi all.
I have exactly the same problem with a TIR1 running on the latest XP.
The only way I can get it working is to unplug the usb and then plug it in again. It then works??

Can anyone help me with a fix for this as before it would always start when I clicked on the Tir shortcut on the desktop.

Its a pain to keep plugging and unplugging.

Any help appreciated.

S - Ray.
ray

Post by ray »

bump
ray

Post by ray »

BUMP YET AGAIN
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Please send me the following information in an email.

What is the Serial # of the device?
It should be located on the end of the cable, near the USB plug, or on the underside of the device.

Could you send us a copy of the Setupapi.log file?
It should be located in the C:\Windows folder

Have you tried the device on another system?

Are you plugging in directly to the system, or are you using a hub?

Have you tried isolating the device on the USB ports?

Could you attach a screen shot of your device manager, and tracking screen?

To make Print Screen work, you must save an image of what's displayed on-screen to the clipboard and then paste it into a document where it can be printed.

Windows Help: Print Screen

To do this, follow this procedure:

1. Maximize the window you'd like to capture.
2. To copy/capture the current window, hold down ALT + Print Scrn at the same time. To capture the entire screen, just press Print Scrn alone.
3. Open a new document in MS Paint, MS Word, MS Photo Editor, or Adobe PhotoShop.
4. Paste the screen shot by holding down CTRL and V at the same time.
5. Save the document as a .JPG or .JPEG file and send it in.

Have you tried turn off any kind of power save feature for your USB ports?

In the "Device Manager" you can right click the "USB Hub"(s) that show and turn off the power saving feature that turn those ports off when idle. Sometimes that has an impact on the connectivity of the devices.