Vista Ultimate 64 and TrackIR will not launch??

scragbat

Vista Ultimate 64 and TrackIR will not launch??

Post by scragbat »

This is doing my noodle in!
I have had this working on my system and now nothing.
I have TrackIR3 and have just finished installing Vilsta Ultimate x64 on a new build machine. TrackIR was my last driver to go in before making an Acronis backup of this fresh install. It went in without any trouble, installed software (.34 final), plugged device in, driver installed, and with a few tests it seemed to be working fine. Could exit the software and restart it and it would come backup very quickly ready to go. After a system restart it now doesn't want to play. After launching the software nothing happens. No GUI and no lights on the TrackIR. The process TrackIR.exe *32 is running but nothing launches.
I have uninstalled and re-installed following the various procedures outlined here. Always installs and detects the device but GUI won't launch and the device won't light up, although the main led flickers then quickly goes out.

Incidently, it is not broken. It is working fine on a laptop running XP SP2. Worked briefly on this install of Vista Ultimate x64, and now it won't.

Hope someone can help. Been pulling my hair out for 2 hours, itching to get back into some flying!

In anticipation
Scrag
scragbat

Re: Vista Ultimate 64 and TrackIR will not launch??

Post by scragbat »

Update - It's working!

What I did was clutch at straws. I went into the program(x86) directory and to the installation folder. I tried compatibility mode on the TrakIR.exe - XP SP2, Windows 2000, Windows 2003. None of these worked. Then turned off compatibility mode and now it's working. It shouldn't be but it is.

I really can't think why the above would make any difference? Turning compatability mode off, would have just returned it to it's original state (non-funtional), but it seems to have kicked it back into life. I'm not complaining.

Just made a backup of where it is now. Phew!
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Are you running any other software in the background, like anti-virus/firewall software?

Have you tried starting the software, without the hardware plugged in?
scragbat

Post by scragbat »

It was pretty much a clean install of Vista Ultimate x64. All latest drivers installed and a handfull of other stand-alone apps. Only one of which was running in the background - Avast Antivirus.

Might that have affected the install in anyway?

Yes I did try it without the hardware plugged in while it was not working properly. The GUI would load, but slowly. After about 5 or six seconds. Now that it is working it is now loading almost instantly.

Thanks for your reply Vincent
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

In the following folder location, C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR4\Profiles, what is the file size for each profile?
scragbat

Post by scragbat »

The problem has returned :(
As described in my original post. It is now intermittent. It may sometimes work after a system restart. Then somewhere down the line it will stop again, fail to start the GUI with no lights on the device and the process TrackIR.exe *32 running in the background (which I have to end manually).

When it does successfully start up, the green light will flash on, then off, then back on again in the blink of an eye (but remain on), and the GUI will load almost instantly. On XP the light comes on and stays on at startup, Vista it flashes once(?) When it is on in Vista though it is fully functional and works a charm. Just getting it to start sometimes is the problem.

All profiles seem to be OK, none above 4K I believe. I have deleted them and restarted and the default profile has appeared but I still have this intermittent problem.

Are the .30 drivers Vista 64 compatible? Could I uninstall and give them a try?

Thanks in advance.
Scrag
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

I would recommend doing a clean install, with the latest version of the software.......
scragbat

Post by scragbat »

OK, I'll give it a whirl.

By 'clean install', I take it you mean the frequently mentioned removal procedure and then re-install, or are you talking a system format?

Can you just confirm if .30 is Vista x64 compatible? I know it's best to have the latest software, but perhaps there is something in my current rig that version .34 does not like...

Regards
Scrag
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Support was added with build 30.

Have you tried build 35?
scragbat

Post by scragbat »

* Update *

Build .30 B is working just fine after continued testing (build 35 gave me the same problems). None of the above issues occur with this version for me. It is spot on, fully functional and it doesn't do that led flicker that I described earlier.

For whatever reason version .30 B is the one that works perfectly for me and my system. It will remain installed until the next version.

For what it's worth, here are my system specs -
ASUS P5N-E SLI Motherboard (latest BIOS)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache
Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5(5-5-5-18)
Gecube HD 3850 Pro 512MB GDDR3 Overclocked Edition Dual DVI PCI-E Graphics card
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 300GB (IDE) (OS installed here on 100GB partition)
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 200GB (IDE)
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 7200rpm (SATA)
Running Windows Vista Ultimate x64, SP1, latest updates...

Regards
Scrag