Newbie: Just Purchased TIR

StudUK

Newbie: Just Purchased TIR

Post by StudUK »

Hi,
Just purchased the trackIR and overall pleased with it. However I have a few minor problems.

Some games especially IL-2 I get a noticable drop in frame rate & experience minor pauses.

These were the similar problems when I had a SB live card. Since then I have exchanged the sound card for a santa cruz card and fiddled with some settings and then was OK

However when I enabled NaturalPoint this stuttering/pauses reoccurs.

Any help would really be appreciated

Thanks

system
Althon 1.4 (A7M266 motherboard)
512 mg, Geforce3
I have A7M266 mb

[ January 18, 2003, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: Steve ]
TailFlamer

Re: Newbie: Just Purchased TIR

Post by TailFlamer »

Hi Steve. Welcome to the club!

I am sorry I can't help you with your problem, I haven't noticed any stutters in IL-2 with TIR enabled. I'm sure somebody can help though.

Once you find the trouble, I think you will be quite amazed at how much better your immersion in IL-2 becomes when using TIR. I simply won't fly without it anymore.
StudUK

Post by StudUK »

Thanks for the reply. With the little experience I have had with TrackIr I u can understand your comments.

But I'm getting this random stuttering and drop in frame rate that to be honest its putting me off.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Steve:

This can be a common problem with VIA chipsets. If you browse through our forum you will find other users who have experienced the same problem and it is due to poor USB implementation by VIA. You can usually solve the problem by updating to the latest VIA 4in1 drivers or by using a add on PCI USB card, my recommendation. Also, try plugging the trackIR into different ports on your computer, I have heard of that helping as well. Good luck.
Hotdognz

Post by Hotdognz »

I had a simlar promblem on my KT133 VIA chipset M/B, I went out and brought a USB 2.0 4 port PCI card and the promblem went away, it also cured my TM Cougar Hotas dropouts, I have now upgraded to a KT266A VIA chipset M/B and I dont have any promblem with the TIR unit using the onboard USB ports now.
StudUK

Post by StudUK »

Thanks guys I'll will get a PCI USB board first thing Monday. I did read older threads but was not sure if this applied to me as I basically have a hybrid motherboard (Via Southbridge).

Anyway very impressed with the support in this forum.

Thanks chaps
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Did the PCI USB controller fix your problems?
StudUK

Post by StudUK »

As advised I have recently installed a PCI USB2.0 card couple days back. It has seemed to improve the bad stuttering I was experiencing with IL2, but still experience micro stuttering now again upon explosions etc
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

In the game, hit SHIFT-TAB and then type "fps SHOW START" without the " and it is case sensitive. Watch the numbers up top. Record your average and max numbers. Then drop out of the game completly, unplug TrackIR, and do it all over again. Make sure cycle through your F3 view alot while doing this as that view normally works the graphics the most. Post the numbers here. I do not see any fps drop with TrackIR, but I do with my Telex headset.

Also, is your your views are jerky or is the game kind of lagging a little? If it is just your views, try to increase your x/y settings and decrease your smoothing. My views were choppy until I set my smoothing to around 75.

Hope this helps.
StudUK

Post by StudUK »

I'm careful not to use the phrase "Frame Rate" as framerate is not the issue. Framerate is on average the same with and without using TRackIR.

It just seems the stuttering is more evident (i.e. Explosions, planes crashing) when using TrackIR.

I know people reading this will say "yeah but thats a problem with IL2 not an issue with TrackIR" but like I said for some strange reason the micro pauses are more evident while using TrackIR.

Anyway I'm not moaning , I'm extremely happy with my TrackIR, and the PCI USB CARD does help a lot

[ February 01, 2003, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: Steve ]