Range From IR Source To Dot

BPO6_GoldenWing

Range From IR Source To Dot

Post by BPO6_GoldenWing »

I recently read a string at SimHQ about using a 1/2 ball uphostelry button covered with reflective material (purchased from NaturalPoint). This sparked an idea and I found said uphostelry button, covered it and sewed it into an elastic band.

WaaLah!! An expanded dot on an elastic band that I could take off and use again when through playing. I ALSO ATTACHED THE IR SOURCE TO THE FRONT/TOP OF MY MONITOR (ie. approx. 4" closer to my face)

Did I get better performance? NO!!! I now have a red square around my VERY Prominent Big yellow dot in advanced. Symptoms: when using TrackIR, the views freeze in various positions!!

I suspect that my "range from the IR source to my reflective "dot" is the culprit. (Confirmed: when I move backwards in "advanced" the red square turns green.) However, if I move back far enough to turn the square green, I can't see the monitor with my reading glases and my reg. glasses no worky.

HOW DO I ADJUST FOR IR SOURCE RANGE TO DOT?

Thanks in advance,

~S! Gold
DNME

Re: Range From IR Source To Dot

Post by DNME »

Dunno how big the reflective material is that you covered the button with. Might be the surface of the reflective material is just too big for that distance.

Reduce the size of the reflective area. Your yellow dot will be smaller so that you can sit closer to the monitor.
gaming247

Post by gaming247 »

I am using an active IR LED. And that works really very well.
BPO6_GoldenWing

DNME,

My new dot is just a little larger than a dime, but it's completely covered in reflective material (purchased from NaturalPoint). It makes a much larger 'dot' in advanced.

However, my "rings" arrived yesterday which has a much smaller square of reflective material. This works like a champ when strategically placed as you mentioned in one of your previous posts. This works even though the IR source is 4" closer.

I'd still like to know if there is a way to adjust the "range" between the IR source and the reflective material.

OH, I wish I had the technical understanding to build an active IR source like some of you guys mentioned...give me a solder gun and and I start to ask how to 'shoot' it!! (It is a gun, isn't it?????? ;^) )

~S! Gold

[ January 21, 2003, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: BPO6_GoldenWing ]
gaming247

Post by gaming247 »

i can try to explain you how to do it,if u like.
it is no problem at all, if u are a little familar with soldering.
BPO6_GoldenWing

~S! Gaming247,

Your offer is very nice & thanks. I do believe that the step-by-step procedures are listed somewhere here in this forum.

Edit: http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ ... 5;t=000001

I do believe this string gives the complete "how to do it!"

Problem for me is two-fold: 1) I'm not equipped to do it. 2) I'm mentally not equipped to do it!!! LOL!!

HEY!! The techs take care of all that 'black box' stuff...us pilots just play with these things!! hehehe

[ January 21, 2003, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: BPO6_GoldenWing ]
DNME

Post by DNME »

hehe the rings

Only thing i can think of is to reduce the size of the material so that it becomes like a "normal sized" dot again.

Or go the active IR led way. But don't ask me about that, as i'm in the same boat about it as you
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

I can clear this up quickly. The dot you have created is simply to good, or as it would be, big. There is a hard software filter that rejects objects that are bigger than a certain size, for image filtering. The solution for today is to just make it smaller, the solution for tomorrow is that you can adjust these filters in 2.0 software.
BPO6_GoldenWing

Thanks, Jim.

I ordered rings and I am using one now as per DNME's expert instruction and it works like a champ.

Interestingly, the 'square' on the ring is about 1/5 the size of my homemade uphostelry button 'dot', but works about 100% better!

~S! Gold
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

I put the normal sized dot on the brim of a hat and it works perfect. When playing, it is roughly 1.5 to 2 feet from the TIR source, just slightly under a perfectly straight line. TIR sits slightly angled down, very slightly (not even 5 degrees).

Works perfectly. I have the software set to 25/25 with smoothing at 78 for IL-2.