Can't map function keys to joystick or mouse

RSJeff

Can't map function keys to joystick or mouse

Post by RSJeff »

I'm reading some of the postings in the game specific forums, particularly for IL-2 Sturmovik. There seems to be a lot of discussion about pausing the TrackIR, hitting function keys, re-centering your view, and then resuming the sim and reengaging TrackIR... all of which sounds a little "nonimmersive" to me. Is there some way to program the HOTAS keys (on my MS sidewinder joystick, for instance) to simply recenter your forward view? For that matter, can I program my HOTAS to give me a "snap" leftward view and then with my TrackIR "look around" out my left side, and then, with a foward click on my HOTAS be looking front and center again? I guess my main question has to do with whether or not there is a way to fly with the TrackIR without having to reach up to use the keyboard.

[ February 05, 2003, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Betablocker ]
Jim

Re: Can't map function keys to joystick or mouse

Post by Jim »

Hello:

I am really not the best person to answer this, but thought I would jump in anyway, I am sure someone else will follow up with the exact info needed.

Most all users map their view changes to a joystick button, in the current version of IL-2, you usually change your view to the outside, then back in and also re-center our unit, all with one joystick key binding. It is actually very simple in practice. In the next version of IL-2 this won't be necissary, as we will have built in Absoulte viewing support.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Lets see if I can tackle all of those.

Until support is imbedded for IL-2, you have to manually recenter your view. This is easily done. On your joystick, map your coolie hat to the buttons you use to pause and recenter trackIR. What I have done is to make a complete circle with my POV hat. When I need to recenter my view, I push up (pauses TIR), then spin my finger to the right (F3 View), down (F1 View), Left (Center TIR), Up (Unpause TIR). So I just spin my finger in a circle and it recenters it all. I do this at a pretty fast pace and it works perfect.

As for your snap left question, I personally do not see why this is needed. With all the settings in the TIR software tweaked, you should be able to look at everything, in any direction, quickly and efficiently. By very slight movements of my head, I can swing my view from the far back left to the far back right in a matter of a blink. Same goes for looking up and down and all around. If your not getting this kind of performance, raise your X-Y scrolling, Lower your smoothness, and move your "dot" closer to the TrackIR device. You will see a huge difference.

If you dont like that and still want the snap, then keep your POV hat mapped as a POV view hat. Then just pause TIR, snap your view to where you want it (make sure you hit F9 in the game to keep your view from auto center), then unpause TIR and look around. But as I said, that seems even less practical and diminishes your immersion factor even more.

Hope this helped.
RSJeff

Post by RSJeff »

Hey thanks-that's very helpful; I'm setting up my brand new TrackIR now and I like your setup. The only problem I'm having, and maybe somebody can help me here, is that the naturalpoint software does not recognize my MS sidewinder 2 hat; for that matter, I can't change the function keys from the keyboard to ANY of the buttons on my joystick- or my mouse. (I was trying to map "center view" to my clickable mouse wheel for use in FPS). Anybody have a solution? (Dell 8200, WinXP, P4 2.2, 512MB, GF Ti4400, soundblaster Live vaue, Det 30.82 {the only dets that let me enable stereo 3D with FS2002})

[ February 05, 2003, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Betablocker ]
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

I posted to the other thread on this but will follow up here as well.....

You have to map the TrackIR software hotkeys to keyboard commands. Then map your joystick hat to those same keyboard buttons.

For instance.... I have the PAUSE feature mapped to back slash \ key. Then I mapped a POV hat direction on my joystick to the \ key.

What this does.... When I hit the joystick, it send \ to the computer but is intercepted by TrackIR because it is watching for that key. So hitting that joystick button is the same thing as hitting the keybaord button. (I know it is a horrible metaphor "intercepting" and all but its all I can come up with at 1130 PM. LOL)