TrackIR GX 1.40 Problems - new user

Dexmeister

TrackIR GX 1.40 Problems - new user

Post by Dexmeister »

I've read the FAQs and forums and can't resolve this.

Issues:
Edit - add: Hotkeys do not work for any game whatsoever
-if I select MSFS2002 in the trackIRGX software, then press F8 as directed in instructions, nothing turns red on the screen as it should
-in FS2002, the mouse tracks my head movement but F8 & F12 (and tried other keys) won't put FS2002 into panning mode so I just see my mouse pointer moving around

Tried the following:
-clean install of FS2002
-reinstall (multiple times) of the trackIR.DLL onto both my original FS2002 install and also the fresh one
-removal, reboot, reinstall of trackIR software, versions 1.22 (shipped with my unit), and 1.40 (downloaded today)
-chose various different mode and centre buttons

Other details:
-works fine for IL2
-works in Ghost Recon
-works in Strike Fighters

System Specs:
Win2k Pro
AMD XP2100 1.7ghz
512 MB RAM
Logitech mouse, keyboard, joystick
Matrox Parhelia tripleview display

According to the NaturalPoint manual, if I install the trackir.dll, then 'start naturalpoint software and select MSFS2002 mode', then press 'mode' hotkey (F8), the MSFS2002 text label will go red - it doesn't

To me it seems that regardless of what I do, the mode and centre commands are just not being processed.

Please assist and thanks!
Dex

[ February 13, 2003, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Dexmeister ]
Dexmeister

Re: TrackIR GX 1.40 Problems - new user

Post by Dexmeister »

Okay, I've now, having a VIA4.45 powered chipset, even tried adding a PCI USB2.0 compliant card to my PC. Still doesn't work.

So, in summary, at this point, it seems that F8 or whatever else I select as the 'Mode' key does nothing whatsoever in any application, which is also true for the F12 function.

I've switched the keys around, removed the software multiple times, installed using an Admin account, installed using my normal account, installed 1.22, 1.30 and 1.40, and the only thing that currently works is any sim view that is mouse controlled.

FS2002 functionality is a large part of why I bought the trackIR, so any assistance to getting this sorted out is greatly appreciated.

Puleeezzzz?
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

I am not one to help with MS FS as I do not have it. But here is a responce from Jim in a past post. I didnt see you mention anything about fixing the registery, so follow Jims advice below and see if it helps.

Hello:

Please follow these direct edit instructions to override the automatic window menu:

- Close our program
- copy trackir.dll file that is in our directory to Modules folder under MSFS2002 (replace if necessary, it expects it to be under the default install location)
- go to start menu
- run "regedit"
- go to key HKEY_Current_User\software\NaturalPoint\NaturalPoint\V1.21 GX (or current version)
- on right side find key MSFSInstalled
- click on key and edit data value to be "1"
- if MSFS2002 is not in default location, edit registry key below MSFSInstalled to reflect location
- click okay and close out regedit
- start NaturalPoint program and select MSFS2002 Mode
- Hit F8 or whatever Mode hotkey you have defined and MSFS2002 text should turn red and cursor will stop moving.
- Enter MSFS2002 game in Virtual Cockpit mode
- Hit F12 or whatever your Center Hotkey is defined as and it will center your view
- Have fun
--------------------
Jim

NaturalPoint
Member Rated:

[ February 13, 2003, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Charlie251 ]
Dexmeister

Post by Dexmeister »

Tried that too, doesn't do anything. Hotkeys seem to not want to engage.

May be worth mentioning that I also removed my cordless mouse and tried with a corded PS/2 port mouse. Still no fix.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Ok, you said you installed a PCI USB card and it didnt fix... hmmm. Honestly, it sounds like an issue between FS2002 and TrackIR. I do not think it is hardware related but I could be wrong. If it was hardware, it wouldnt work in other things or any mode.

I will think on this and hopefully one of the guys with FS2002 will jump on and know the answer to this.

The new version will be out soon and that should also remidy all your problems.
Dexmeister

Post by Dexmeister »

Clearly, this is an issue with the trackIR software and something on my PC preventing it from engaging to take over when a hotkey is pressed.

It's also not a conflict with the key selected because I've now tried F8, numpad "/", numpad "*", V, Space, all to no avail.

FS2002 is only one problem symptom of the bigger issue, which is that no hotkey will work, at all, in any game. I have not received any errors installing trackir.dll following NaturalPoint installation

If I select 'key activated' mode, my cursor no longer tracks my movement, which is as expected.

If I select 'MSFS2002' or 'Keymapping' modes, only cursor control works. Mode switching and Keymapping do not, no matter what I try.

The best I can tell is that somehow, part of the NaturalPoint software is not succeeding in executing the hotkey control override of normal key commands.

Other notes:
-ECT NaturalPoint Tracker is fine in Device Manager
-Device Manager also shows under 'Mice', a "HID-Compliant mouse" *and* a PS/2 Compatible mouse (I only have one mouse, and it's connected via PS2 port but is wireless)
-I also upgraded my USB drivers through WindowsUpdate site

Someone, please help? I'm completely excited to fly FS2002 with this tool that works so great in other sims.

Alternatively, would it be better for me to just try trackIRGX 2.0 as an "emergency beta tester"? I'd gladly do that as I've tried everything else I can think of.

[ February 13, 2003, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Dexmeister ]
DNME

Post by DNME »

Only thing i can think of when that happened to me is when i tried mapping commands to my joystick with the trackIR software running in the background. Easy solution was to first map the commands to the stick, only after that start the trackIR software

But i know not if that is the case on your setup as i do not play FS2k2.
609IAP_Recon

Post by 609IAP_Recon »

I had to do this as well - I was gettting so frustrated with x45 software, until I thought -"let me change the key in trackir then set x45 to my normal key, then set trackir back" - in that order - then it worked.

It was like trackir had a 'lock' on that key.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

MSFS2002 runs in absolute mode. The other games should be running under relative mode. So it is an issue with absolute mode? Do your hot keys work when in the relative mode?

Have you tried setting your hot keys to other keys? I noticed in IL2 that if you have anything mapped to the keypad * key, your screenshots wouldnt take. Two completly differnet things, no how connected that I can see, and they effect each other.
BigDukeSixx

Post by BigDukeSixx »

quote:Originally posted by Dexmeister:
Clearly, this is an issue with the trackIR software and something on my PC preventing it from engaging to take over when a hotkey is pressed.That something is prolly win2kpro. Hardly the gaming o/s of choice. <ROLLS EYES>