Smartnav support Windos 11

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
tominaxx

Smartnav support Windos 11

Post by tominaxx »

Hello,
does support Windows 11 the Smartnav ? Will be work SNav under W11 ?
Thank's.
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Smartnav support Windos 11

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello tominaxx,

Because the SmartNav software has been discontinued for many years, we have not tested it with Windows 11. I can tell you that some of our TrackIR customers have needed to completely remove their TrackIR software, including any references in the registry, and then reinstall it in order for the TrackIR software to work in Windows 11. I cannot say whether this would work for the SmartNav. If you decide to try it, please back up your computer and your registry beforehand, and proceed at your own risk.

Please let me know if you are able to get the software working successfully.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative
tominaxx

Post by tominaxx »

Hello,
I will not be reinstalling the computer to Windows 11, but I will be buying a new computer with Windows 11, where the Smartnav software and drivers have never been installed. I haven't bought a new computer yet and I'm deciding whether to buy a Windows 10 or Windows 11 computer.
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello tominaxx,

Do you know anyone who has a Windows 11 computer that you can test the unit with? That may be helpful in choosing between Windows 10 and Windows 11. We no longer have the ability to test the software and hardware for the SmartNav 4, so I am unable to advise you. If you need a link to the software installer, please contact us using the contact form on our website, and select Technical Support from the drop down for Request Type: https://www.trackir.com/help.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
tominaxx

Post by tominaxx »

Hello,
unfortunately no one with a Windows 11 computer .. I don't know anyone in my area. I have a Smartnav for 12 years, I have an installation disk with software.
I will look for someone in my area. Buying a computer with Windows 11 is a big risk. Smartnav is the best, I don't want to lose it.
Thank U 4 advise.Have a nice day.
Tom.
tominaxx

Post by tominaxx »

Hello,
unfortunately no one with a Windows 11 computer .. I don't know anyone in my area. I have a Smartnav for 12 years, I have an installation disk with software.
I will look for someone in my area. Buying a computer with Windows 11 is a big risk. Smartnav is the best, I don't want to lose it.
Thank U 4 advise.Have a nice day.
Tom.
tominaxx

Post by tominaxx »

Just tested ! The SmartNav 4 works under Windows 11 Professional !
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello tominaxx,

That's wonderful! I really appreciate you reporting back on your findings.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
gkioulekase

Post by gkioulekase »

I am confirming that Smartnav 4 works on my Windows 11 computer as well, with no problems. It is a real shame that you have stopped making the hardware, because it looks like on the software side everything works great, so you could very easily have gotten another 10 years of product life out of them. It might make sense, if you are not able to source the actual hardware components, but if that is not the case, then you should seriously think about making these things available again.

I can also confirm that the Click-N-Type keyboard works too on Windows 11. The developers are complaining that there were some windows problems with the program and they stopped supporting it , however as far as I can tell the program is working just fine. Windows 11 has its own online keyboard, however I like using Click-N-Type better. I have had some initial difficulty making the colors work with the high contrast mode of Windows 11. For some reason some key characters appeared black and other key characters appeared yellow. So, the only way to make them all visible was to make the keys grey. After a couple of reboots straight into high contrast mode, all keys characters appeared yellow, so I was then able to change the background colors for the keys to dark blue which looks a lot better. So, bottom line, everything works great, just like it did with Windows 8.1.

Seriously, if you can source the hardware components to make more of the units, It makes no sense at all not to bring them back. There is clearly demand for them. And if the demand is unstable, then you could do something like make them on demand as they're being requested and people will just know to stockpile backups. The software works fine, and it will be fine for the next 10 years of life for Windows 11. It looks like the underlying operating system is the same between Windows 8.1, 10, and 11. The main difference is the core applications that ran on top of the operating system. With any luck, they may work on Windows 12 too and that would be yet another 10 years of product life.

Also want to thank the OP. I had severe anxiety about whether Smartnav 4 would work with Windows 11, so seeing his/her post put my mind at ease and I was able to enjoy my Christmas break, while waiting for the new desktop computer to arrive. So, much appreciated!

To be on the safe side, I began stockpiling some of the competing products to make sure I have enough for the rest of my life.

I also want to point out that using something like SmartNav makes perfect sense even for people who are not disabled, relative to a mouse. For example, in the work that I do for the University I have to deal with a lot of websites that involve an insane amount of clicking (course management systems, grading records, exam downloads/uploads, student advising etc). I can do all that work with SmartNav and dwell clicking and an on-screen keyboard more efficiently than using a keyboard, mouse and clicking, and it is far more enjoyable. People use mice because they have no idea what they are missing.

Head tracking is a truly superior user interface for everybody. I am using it personally because of the typing injury. There should be some way to put it out there and market it to the wider public to increase the demand for it. I think University Professors like myself that teach online or hybrid courses and have to use course management systems would certainly love using something like SmartNav. They just have never had any idea that it existed and how fun it is to use.
John1086

Post by John1086 »

Hi. I've been using smart nav for 15 years as a quadriplegic. I have just got a laptop with windows 11 and I've been able to put the software on there but when the motion detector is plugged into the usb it isn't working. The yellow dot isn't even showing on the camera view. Is there a way to fix this? I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks.