Smartnav clicks 1000x

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: Smartnav clicks 1000x

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

It's possible that something is not working properly with the unit. If changing those dropdowns stopped the clicking, that tells me that the unit's input jack has an issue. It's possible that the issue is with a chip rather than the jack itself, which may also be causing the scan lines. The fact that it stops after a while further substantiates this because it's possible that warming up fixes the issue.

I would recommend referencing this forum post and emailing support@naturalpoint.com for more information regarding getting the device repaired.
nsr1

Post by nsr1 »

Luckily I have a second one lying around so I'll switch to that one. Could leaving it on 8-10hrs/day caused this?
NaturalPoint - Mike

Not entirely sure what it is, so I can't really say what caused it at the moment, just that there's something wrong.
nsr1

Post by nsr1 »

Well now I've switched cameras and now I can get to work right away! Thanks for your help.
NaturalPoint - Mike

There are two possible situations that could be causing this:

1: The camera has suffered some kind of physical or thermal shock that caused a loose connection, which is weak until it gets a chance to warm up.

2: The USB system has heavy bandwidth during the first few minutes of operation, or the computer is overtaxed during the first few minutes, causing the signal from the camera to be placed at a lower priority.

You could rule out or confirm #1 by trying the camera on another computer and seeing if it behaves the same way. Alternately, you could wait until your computer is fully booted and SmartNav is functioning properly, then close the SmartNav software, and unplug the camera. Wait a few minutes for it to cool, then plug it back in and start the SmartNav software again, and see if the behavior is the same.