Hints and Tips for using the Savant Elite foot switch

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
Franck Dernoncourt

Hints and Tips for using the Savant Elite foot switch

Post by Franck Dernoncourt »

The thread http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubb ... umber=2619 lists some great advice for using SmartNav without experiencing neck pain.

I would be grateful if somebody could give the same kind of advice on how to use a foot switch without experiencing ankle pain. I bought the Savant Elite USB dual foot switch along with SmartNav 4 AT and I use it as a mouse clicker. The Savant Elite Foot Switch User�s Manual isn't that much useful. It only says very general warnings which I put below:

(Full size: http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/724/ ... ingrsi.png)

Last edited by Franck Dernoncourt on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:39 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Add full size URL for image
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: Hints and Tips for using the Savant Elite foot switch

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

It's probably best to switch it up a bit here and there. Personally, I like to put my foot on something to slightly elevate it, and let my toes hang over the edge. The switch is light enough that it can be actuated just by flexing the toes instead of the whole foot.

An old trick from drumming is to leave your foot off the pedal when you're not using it, a lot of strain from playing the bass drum comes from hovering over the switch waiting instead of actually pushing on it.

Of course, standard disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, it's probably best to ask one before trying anything, especially internet advice.
Franck Dernoncourt

Thanks Mike for the advice!

Just a few more questions:
  • Is it better to use it with or without shoes?
  • What knee and ankle angles would you advise? 90� both?
  • Do you stretch from time to time?
  • Would you have by any chance a photo of your setup?
  • How long can you use pedals without experiencing any pain?
  • How does the Savant Elite foot switch compares to other pedals in terms of ergonomics?
Last edited by Franck Dernoncourt on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:51 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: typo
NaturalPoint - Mike

The foot switch is flexible enough that any angle can be achieved, really. I don't have direct comparison data, but I would assume that it's more based on usage than anything else. I generally prefer having my legfurther outstretched when using it, but then again that's how I drive, as well, so it's more natural for me. I do get up and walk during the day so it can break up the monotony of foot switch usage (i guess this would count as a stretch)
Franck Dernoncourt

Thanks for the additional information!

Just two more questions I had in mind:
  • Do you use pedals with or without shoes?
  • Do you use pedals as mouse clickers? If so, do you use them as the only mouse clickers (i.e. you use neither computer mice nor keyboard shortcuts in addition to the pedals)?
NaturalPoint - Mike

I use them with shoes, and I when I use them it's usually just them.