Natural Point erratic tracking problems

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: Natural Point erratic tracking problems

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Allright, so the issue was the lighting? Glad to hear a resolution is possible here for ya!
qiyyq

Post by qiyyq »

Well, it's erratic. Sometimes it's usable. My real issue is during the day. As I mentioned on earlier posts, its is completely unusable in natural light.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Yeah, it will not work properly in natural light, because the sun outputs a lot more infrared than the TrackIR does. The best you can hope to do is create an environment where it's filtered out (fortunately, filtering IR can be easier than other things).
qiyyq

Post by qiyyq »

I've been working with the lighting and conditions of my room since your last post. I am now at the point where the tracker is so unstable it is unusable. Even in low to no light conditions, it doesn't always work. Or it will work for a while. I've pretty much abandoned using it, in favour of the more painful mouse / pen alternative. I would sell it on, but how can I be sure has not become faulty?
NaturalPoint - Mike

Is it still showing more than just the marker in the tracking tab, like on the last page?
qiyyq

Post by qiyyq »

Yes. It shows different amounts of grey light and the green dot jumps about as before. Sometimes, when the lighting is lower, the filter control will take out the ambient light, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will pick up the reflective strip - often it can't pick that up at all, regardless the amount of ambient light. For example, one night I was able to use it without turning on the lights in the room. The following night under the same conditions it could not see the reflective strip. On another occasion it worked for a short while. It's just so random.