SmartNav Windows 8 compatibility

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
NaturalPoint - Mike

SmartNav Windows 8 compatibility

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

After some testing and a revision of the software, SmartNav version 3.30.039 is tested to be fully compatible with Windows 8.

If you use voice clicking with the IBM ViaVoice module, you will need to take additional steps to install:

1: Insert the SmartNav with voice clicking CD
2: Go to the windows explorer, then navigate to the CD drive
3: Open the "Speech" folder
4: Right click on "Setup", then select properties
5: Click on the "Compatibility" tab
6: Check "Run in compatibility mode" and ensure the compatibility mode drop down has "Windows XP Service Pack 3" selected.
7: Check "Run as Administrator"
8: Click the "Ok" button in the lower right corner of the window
9: Double click "Setup" to run the installer.
Franck Dernoncourt

Re: SmartNav Windows 8 compatibility

Post by Franck Dernoncourt »

Great news! Thanks for the update :-)
Franck Dernoncourt

Post by Franck Dernoncourt »

Speaking of compatibility, SmartNav seems to work well with virtual machines:
  • VMware: host: Mac OS; guest: Windows XP 32bits
  • VirtualBox: host: Windows 7 x64; guest: Ubuntu 12.04 32bits
Each time Windows was handling SmartNav.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Oh, yeah. Some VMs should be ok. Compatibility may vary depending on a couple factors.

When running the SmartNav software on the VM host it will be based on how the VMs hook into the Windows device input stack. Most hook far enough downstream that they will receive the cursor updates.

When running the SmartNav software on the VM guest (not recommended) it will depend on the quality of the VM USB pass-through support. Pass-through with full USB "hi-speed" may work best, although the SmartNav hardware will auto-downgrade to USB 1.1 "full speed" when required.
melfahn

Post by melfahn »

make sure to run dwell click as administrator!
pcourtney1

Post by pcourtney1 »

can you do everything in windows 8 with smarthnav? thank you
jolsonsalem

Post by jolsonsalem »

Everything you can do currently with your SmartNav in Windows 7 works fine in Windows 8. You might have to upgrade to version 3.30.039 of the software though.
jedicharles

Post by jedicharles »

My SmartNav lights stop working after shutting down the computer and turning it on the next day. It still operates, just no lights. The light comes back if the USB is unplugged and re-plugged.

If I switch to Windows 7 (I have dual-boot setup) it works but once I reboot into Windows 8, again there are no lights, it tracks but I can't click with my ability switches. If I rapidly click sometimes I can get to the desktop and clicking doesn't work except for relaunching the start screen or on the charms bar. The only fix is unplugging and re-plugging.

The other thing is it doesn't want to wake the computer while the screensaver is on. Only when the monitor goes into standby will the SmartNav wake the computer.
jolsonsalem

Post by jolsonsalem »

You can try changing the power settings to disable selective USB suspension which may help with the lights and clicking after coming back from sleep mode. To do that go to Start>Control Panel>Power Options. Next to the power plan you have selected click on Change plan settings, then Change advanced power settings. In the window that pops up scroll down to USB settings and click the + next to it. In there you will find the open for USB selective suspend setting, change it to disabled. Let me know if this changes the lights and such.
xngbobby

Post by xngbobby »

I just installed Windows 8 and after installing the latest drivers I can't get the windows On Screen Keyboard to open. If I uninstall SmartNAV drivers it opens. I NEED MY On Screen Keyboard! lol Any ideas?