Tracking, but not working,

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
kalorvoe

Tracking, but not working,

Post by kalorvoe »

My SmartNav is running on Win7 64. It started working intermittently a few weeks ago, and now doesn't work at all. You start it up, and all LEDs blink as they should. Then the green light goes out, and nothing appears in the camera view. The SmartNav does nothing.

However, if you go into control panel and tracking, it can see the tracking cap perfectly! WTF??

Things I've tried:

-uninstalling and reinstalling the software.
-getting a new cable.
-disabling other USB devices.

My tendonitis has had a bad flare-up! How can I get it working again?
kalorvoe

Re: Tracking, but not working,

Post by kalorvoe »

It seems to be similar to this issue:

http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubb ... mber=32506

Other things I've noticed about it:

-It seems to work sometimes on my work PC and never on my home one.
-It stops working (freezes) if the reflector gets closer than about 10 inches.
-It may be helped by a restart of the software (leading me to believe I'm facing more than one issue at the same time).
-Every few seconds the mouse pointer sticks/hesitates slightly,
-It just froze with the green light stuck on (and a dot visible on the camera view). Restarting the software did nothing. Unplugging the camera, plugging it back in and restarting the software led to the initial startup lights followed by no lights, no dot on the camera view, nothing in tracking view and the camera view having a black background.

Hope somebody can give me some ideas soon, the old arm pain is not fun...
ALEXANDRIA

Post by ALEXANDRIA »

I have the same bug as u,thank u for help me
kalorvoe

Post by kalorvoe »

Hmm, no response from support in the last 10 days. Let's try and be as helpful as we can for them. Quick recap is below. Alexandria, please post what your PC is, confirm that these are your symptoms and mention what you've tried:

SYMPTOMS:
-Smartnav 4 intermittently not working
-Green light goes out
-reflector has appeared in tracking view, but usually doesn't.

ENVIRONMENT(s) REPORTED:
-Win 7 (both 64 and 32).
-Smartnav travels to work and home every day, so it's plugged into a multitude of USB ports all the time.

THINGS TO TRY:
- Ensure the cable is firmly in the back of the SmartNav
- Remove any "Unknown" USB devices
- Clear old registry entries - Can anyone tell me how to do this?
- Uninstall software, unplug SmartNav, Download (not run) software, then right-click and Run as Administrator
- Try installing it on another computer (to tell if the problem is with the USB ports or the SmartNav unit). I'll do this over the next day or so.
jolsonsalem

Post by jolsonsalem »

Hi guys, sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. I would like to try a remote session with one of you to get your issues resolved. You can download the remote client from http://www.naturalpoint.com/smartnav/su ... rview.html between 9AM and 5PM PST (UST-8). After running it and clicking Yes/Accept a few times you will get to a chat window, just send me a message and we'll get you straightened out.
kalorvoe

Post by kalorvoe »

Hi Jeff,

I've diagnosed mine. It's the socket at the back of the smartnav unit.

I tried installing it on another computer and still had the symptoms. A post in another thread suggested "making sure it's all the way in", which I'd tried, but I managed to make it work by pulling it back out slightly and jiggling it around a little. I then did the same thing on the original PC I had the issue with. It works if I jiggle it around until the green light comes on, and then don't move it.

Given that I'd already tried a brand new USB cable, it has to be the connection at the back of the SmartNav. It makes sense- it's been plugged and unplugged every day for three years as I move it back and forth from work to home.

So I guess I have to find another $800 for another unit. There goes Christmas :(
jolsonsalem

Post by jolsonsalem »

We do offer repairs on SmartNav units that will be considerably less expensive than buying a new one. Send me an email at jeff@naturalpoint.com with the serial number of your SmartNav and I'll get an RMA set up for you.
kalorvoe

Post by kalorvoe »

Email sent.

Alexandria, have you tried moving/jiggling the connection (while wearing a dot/cap)? Does the green light come on or at least flicker?
rebel2000z

Post by rebel2000z »

I've been using SmartNav's since late 2004/early 2005 and I have found that almost every time my device seems to not be working properly(which is rare) all I need to do is unplug it's connection to the computer, either from the usb or directly from the back of the camera. Then I plug it back in a few seconds later, and all is well.