Creating user fails when installing IBM ViaVoice

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
smarty8

Creating user fails when installing IBM ViaVoice

Post by smarty8 »

When installing IBM ViaVoice after having installed SmartNAV, ViaVoice setup goes normally until it hovers while "Creating a default user ..." at 96%, eventually returning the following error: "Creating a new user default_user_not_found failed." After clicking ok, it then says "Creating a new user [whatever username you entered at the start of setup] failed." After clicking ok, it then completes the install.

Unsurprisingly, SmartNAV's voice clicking won't work. I check "Use speech recognition for clicking and hotkeys." But once I close out the options menu, none of the voice commands work. If I return to the options menu, the speech-clicking option reverts to being unchecked. And usually within a couple minutes, SmartNAV crashes. (If I relaunch the program and don't try to check the speech-clicking option, then SmartNAV will run normally.)

I'm running Windows 7 on a new system with a buddy gooseneck USB mic, which otherwise works normally.

Any suggestions?
NaturalPoint-Dustin

Re: Creating user fails when installing IBM ViaVoice

Post by NaturalPoint-Dustin »

Hello,

Sorry you are having difficulties with your SmartNav. You state you are running Windows 7 on a new system? Were you previously running Windows 7? Have you tried installing in compatibility mode for Windows XP? To install the program in Windows XP compatibility mode:

1. Right click the installation file and select Properties.
2. Click the Compatibility tab.
3. Under Compatibility mode, check the Run this program in compatibility mode for: option.
4. Select either Windows XP (Service Pack 2) or Windows XP (Service Pack 3) from the available options.
5. Click Apply and OK.

Please let me know if you are able to get this working.
Dustin
Technical Support Engineer
OptiTrack | TrackIR | SmartNav
smarty8

Post by smarty8 »

Yes, I was previously running Windows 7. And yes, I have tried installing in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3) with the same result.
NaturalPoint-Dustin

Post by NaturalPoint-Dustin »

Hello,

I know there is compatibility issues with Windows 8 and IBM ViaVoice. Have you also tried compatibility mode for Windows 7 and ran this in administrator mode? I will continue to look for a solution.
Dustin
Technical Support Engineer
OptiTrack | TrackIR | SmartNav
GreenAmerica

Post by GreenAmerica »

I am experiencing the exact same issue. Windows 7 professional SP1.

Please post a response if you find a solution.
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

Hello GreenAmerica,

I do not have an update for you. We are still looking into the compatibility issues between ViaVoice and newer versions of Windows. We do not have an active workaround at this time, but we will keep looking for an appropriate solution.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager