Have to unplug after a cold boot

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
Bob422

Have to unplug after a cold boot

Post by Bob422 »

My SamartNAV 3 has one really annoying problem. About half the time I turn on my PC, my SmartNAV 3 will not respond. I do not have it set to start the software with windows. I launch the software manually when I am ready to use it.

Now the fun part. After a cold boot, it will either:

A. Function properly half of the time

B. Say it's tracking and display the green light but it really isn't tracking and I must close the SmartNAV software and have someone unplug it from my PC and plug it back in, launch the software again and then it works.

C. Same as B above except the cursor is jumping all around the screen or is just not as smooth as normal. It must be unplugged and plugged back in to restore normal operation.

D. Launch the software and it says no data even though there should be. Has to be unplugged and plugged back in to restore normal operation.

It has exhibited these same exact symptoms on 3 different computers. There are no background light issues. This only happens on a cold boot after my computers have been off all night. It has had these issues since it was brand new (5-6 years old)

I figured I had a defective unit and recently upgraded to a SmartNAV 4 only to experience the exact same problems. I don't use a USB hub, just the built in ports on the computers.

For a device that is targeted to those of us with physical issues of various sorts, I find this unacceptable. I am a high level quadriplegic and can't unplug this thing every time it decides it does not want to function properly.

What is sad is that I have owned a TrackIR, TrackIR 2, and TrackIR 3 which are far cheaper but never had these issues. After searching around these forums this seems to be a fairly common issue but has never been looked into.

The only reason I own a SmartNAV is because someone at Natural Point decided it was a great Idea to remove mouse emulation from the TrackIR software. The best days were back when using version 3 of the TrackIR software on Windows XP. I could do anything with that combination. No new features have been added to the SmartNAV software in 5 years. I have asked several times about adding the auto pan feature that was in the 3.13 software for the TrackIR. I mean if you are going to strip out the great mouse emulation features from the TrackIR, you could at least move them over to the SmartNAV which is supposed to be all about mouse emulation.

I am so dissatisfied with the way things are and have been for several years here at Natural Point, but there is nowhere else to turn.
NaturalPoint-Dustin

Re: Have to unplug after a cold boot

Post by NaturalPoint-Dustin »

Hi Bob,

It appears the issue is with the software and not the hardware. I really apologize for your inconvenience and would like to help you out as much as possible. Could you please provide your complete system specs? I also invite you to create a ticket at help.naturalpoint.com

Best Regards,
Dustin
Technical Support Engineer
OptiTrack | TrackIR | SmartNav
Bob422

Post by Bob422 »

Hi Dustin,

My current system consists of the following:

Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Service Pack 1 fully updated.
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K (Not overclocked)
RAM: 16GB (4X4GB) G.Skill Ripjsaws X 1600Mhz @ 9-9-9-24
GPU: Two EVGA GTX680 Classified cards in SLI (Not overclocked)
HDD: Two 500 GB Western Digital Caviar Black Edition (Not in RAID)
Optical drive 1: Plextor PX-755SA DVD Burner
Optical drive 2: Generic DVD ROM
Standard USB Keyboard
Kensington Expert Mouse USB
CH OEM 2 axis, 5 button USB Joystick
Saitek P2500 USB Gamepad
SmartNAV 4

All hardware has the newest software/drivers available from the manufacturers. I use the newest version of Norton Internet Security. Not much else installed other than games and game services like Steam, Origin, Uplay and hardly anything loads at startup. I keep a very streamlined and clean system for gaming performance.

If I left anything out or you want more specific details about anything or a dxdiag report just say the word.

Thank you,
Bob
NaturalPoint-Dustin

Post by NaturalPoint-Dustin »

Hi Bob,

I am still looking into your issue. I wanted to comment about TrackIR Mouse Emulation. It has not been removed from TrackIR. After installing the TrackIR software, navigate to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR5

Find and run the executable "TIRMouse"

Best Regards,
Dustin
Technical Support Engineer
OptiTrack | TrackIR | SmartNav
Bob422

Post by Bob422 »

Dustin,

With all due respect, 3.13 was the last version of the TrackIR software that had almost perfect mouse emulation. Once version 4 was released, it was made a stripped down, separate executable that only works with "TrackIR Enhanced" games. And not very well at that.

I could use the mouse emulation in 3.13 in ANY game or ANY application and it had much more adjustability and options than "TIRMouse". You see, I used my TrackIR for first person shooter games. Is it ideal to aim with your head? Probably not, but it's all I can move and it worked awesome for me. When version 4 came out I tried it and TIRMouse and it's horrible compared to what you had in 3.13.

It was suggested I get a SmartNAV for proper mouse emulation and it does a decent job. At least it works in any game or application, but it lacks the fine tuning and most importantly the auto panning that was in the TrackIR software. It ruined my ability to play my first person shooters because I have to look as far left/right as possible, pause the SmartNAV, move my head back to center, then unpause the SmartNAV to turn and keep pointing the direction I want to go. With 3.13 I could circle strafe around enemies, take spiral staircases and so on with ease just by pointing to the left/right area I designated to kick in auto panning. It was great.

I ended up using my very expensive SmartNAV with the 3.13 TrackIR software for several years on Windows XP. I put up with having to unplug it often because it did track smoother and filtered light better than my TrackIR 3 Pro. But 2 years ago I built my current system and moved to Windows 7 because more and more games and application did not support XP. But as you know 3.13 will not run on Windows 7 64 bit. So I'm pretty much forced to use the SmartNAV software for all the reasons I have mentioned about the lackluster TIRMouse in version 4 or 5.

I seriously doubt Natural Point will ever put the effort/cost required in to bring the awesome abilities and features of 3.13's mouse emulation to future versions of TrackIR software, nor will they add autopanning to the SmartNAV software. One or the other, either way would be fine by me, but in it's current state neither fills the role that 3.13 did, so for 2 years and counting I feel kinda robbed of my ability to play first person shooter games and that was the only reason I bought that very first TrackIR made to begin with.

Please don't take any of this personally Dustin. I am just very frustrated with the direction Natural Point is going and the decisions that have been made that have pretty much ruined what was one of the best gaming devices ever made for me with my particular disability.

Bob