Smartnav vs trackir

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
Obliterator75

Smartnav vs trackir

Post by Obliterator75 »

Hi to everyone at naturalpoint!
I need your help, but first of all, excuse me for my poor english.
I' m an italian tetraplegic and i can't use my hands, so i cannot use mouse+keyboard or a joypad in order to play a lot of videogames, especially FPS.
So some years ago i bought a trackir 4, and used it with "mouse emulation" to emulate mouselook in various games that didn't have official support.
Unfortunately a lot of games, such all CoD from 4, deus ex, the recent metal gear: ground zero (i've noted that a lot of recent directx 12 games don't work) don't work with mouse emulation.
So i'm asking you: is it a driver problem?
Can you update the drivers?
Is Smartnav different?
Can i play ALL the games that i want?
Please let me know, thanks!

P.s i've posted this in the trackir 4 forum, but it didn't show, so i'm posting here, too
MikeWitham

Re: Smartnav vs trackir

Post by MikeWitham »

Obliterator75,

The mouse emulation software is no longer being developed so there won't be any new versions of it coming out. The SmartNav would work as a mouse replacement in most games. I will try it out in Deus Ex tonight and see if it works.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
Obliterator75

Post by Obliterator75 »

Ok, please let me know!
Is smartnav 4 still supported? Will it be under windows 10?
Thank you!
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

Obliterator75,

It worked with Deus Ex, but I didn't get to test it over time to see if there were any problems. I would like to do more testing before saying 100% it will work, but it is looking good so far. I'm sure that the SmartNav 4 will be supported on Windows 10 as well.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
Obliterator75

Post by Obliterator75 »

Ok, thank you!
Deus ex the first one or human revolution?
Good news, trackir didn't work in either!
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

Obliterator75,

I tested it with Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut. I don't have CoD 4 or Metal Gear: Ground Zero or else I'd test those as well. The SmartNav does take over the mouse functions, but you still need input in order to click or interact.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager