Smartnav not working with USB extension cables

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
wonderwoman

Smartnav not working with USB extension cables

Post by wonderwoman »

I had a smartnav 4 AT that I used with a 15 foot USB 2 repeater extension cable for years, successfully, but it stopped working. I bought two more cables, just like it (both different brands) but my computer did not recognize the device, so I bought a brand-new camera. Still, it didn't work. So I bought a 10 foot USB 3 repeater cable thinking that the former cables might be too long, or I might need a USB 3 instead of a USB 2. With the last set up, I finally got the red infrared lights in the camera to blink, but the camera did not do any tracking. It did not "see" the dot at all. I talked with customer service on the phone and they didn't know why I'm having this problem. I've been using Windows 7 all this time on the same computer. My new camera works fine when I plug it directly in without extension cables , but due to my disability, I have to have those extension cables . Any ideas?
wonderwoman

Re: Smartnav not working with USB extension cables

Post by wonderwoman »

update: I plugged it into a USB 3 powered hub and now it is functioning. Hope this is helpful to someone.
MikeWitham

Re: Smartnav not working with USB extension cables

Post by MikeWitham »

wonderwoman,

Did you plug it into a hub and then have the extension from the hub to the PC?

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager