Software Corruption?

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
TheIronGod

Software Corruption?

Post by TheIronGod »

So, Im having an issue with the software that I can't seem to resolve. I physically moved my PC to a new location and after I plugged everything back in, the program wouldn't open back up. No errors, and the light on the device would come on but stay red. I ran the repair option with the installer and... nothing. The software still wouldn't open. I uninstalled, reset, and reinstalled. That worked, until I shut down my computer. Now, this is happening every time I reboot or shut down my machine. I have reinstalled six times, and the repair option actually worked the 4th time, but that's it. It's weird, there are no errors, it just doesn't open except after a fresh install. I need this to use my computer so I really need help resolving this issue.

I'm using Windows 10 with an Intel processor.

Thank you!
TheIronGod

Re: Software Corruption?

Post by TheIronGod »

I'm now having this issue on 2 of my PCs, within a few days of each other.
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

TheIronGod,

Is it possible that this could be related to a Windows update? I know that they have been rolling out the Creator's edition update and it's caused some problems for other products.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
TheIronGod

Post by TheIronGod »

It does seem that way. One of my PCs just did a major update today but I haven't tested to see if the problem persists. I've been leaving my machines on for days on end to avoid the issue. Can you recommend a course of action, or...?
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

TheIronGod,

The only thoughts I have on the issue would be to remove the video drivers, reboot the PC, download and install the latest video drivers, reinstall SmartNav and test it out.

In my experience the issues have largely been caused by creators edition conflicting with video drivers. If that doesn't help, you can create a ticket with me at help.naturalpoint.com and we can set a remote session for us to dive into this in real time and figure it out.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
TheIronGod

Post by TheIronGod »

Sounds like a good plan. It's gonna take me about a week because I have a lot of awesome stuff happening right now but I will comment here again after I attempt that, no matter the result. Thanks for being so "on it" all the time. This device changed my life.
TheIronGod

Post by TheIronGod »

I reinstalled video drivers but, no effect... and I'm not sure how to start a ticket.
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

TheIronGod,

Please go to help.naturalpoint.com to create the ticket with me.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
TheIronGod

Post by TheIronGod »

After having a friend help, I had to close the program once after a reinstall... without a powering down or restart of the PC. I never tried just closing it again after it opened because I can't open it again without physical help. Apparently, closing the program by clicking on the X (in Windows) is different than how it closes when you shut down or restart, and doing the former made the changes stick? I'm still going to make a ticket though because there's still weird behavior...

The weird behavior is that the mouse will randomly freeze in position just long enough to trigger my dwell clicker. The frequency depends on what programs I'm using and seems relevant to RAM use but, dude, I have enough RAM to take the gates of Helms Deep, ok?