Too slow on desktop, too fast in games

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
Bob422

Too slow on desktop, too fast in games

Post by Bob422 »

Hi,

I recently traded my trusty TrackIR 3 Pro for the SmartNAV 3. I'm having a problem tuning in my speeds/sensitivity setting for my FPS games like Half-Life 2 and F.E.A.R..

Here is the problem.

In Relative mode everything works perfectly except my player in game will not continue to turn when the cursor is moved to the far left or right and always retuns to the exact position I was facing when I move my head back to center. So I can't turn 180 degees and stop there.

In Absolute mode I can turn the way I want, but the movements in game are just way too fast for good control. I turned my mouse acceleration off and speed way down and I turned the SmartNAV speeds down to 1. It helped a tiny bit in game but not enough and now it's too slow and does not move far enough when I'm at the desktop or in the game's menus.

What I want is the contol of Relative mode with the abilty to hold the cursor to the edge of the sreen so my charcter will spin until I stop like it does in Absolute mode.

I don't uderstand why both modes act the same on the desktop and in the game's menus, but when the actual gameplay starts, Absolute mode is just out of control fast.

I read about 2X Scaling, but I don't see that option in version 3.20.030 Final.

I have a 20" LCD that I run both the desktop and games at 1600x1200.
kevin

Re: Too slow on desktop, too fast in games

Post by kevin »

Hi Bob,

Have you tried running the TrackIR software and mouse emulation? The SmartNAV can work with the TrackIR software.

Using the SmartNAV software can you adjust the mouse settings from within the game? I know some games have their own mouse speed controls.

my thoughts... Vince may have some more...

You can also contact Bobby, he is our expert on PC Gaming with the SmartNAV...
Bob422

Post by Bob422 »

I haven't tried the TrackIR software with it yet, but I did adjust the in game mouse settings all the way down as well with very little effect.

I will install my old TrackIR software and try my old FPS profile I've used the last few years. Obviously both programs can't be running at the same time, but can both be installed?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Yep, you can have both the SmartNAV, and TrackIR installed at the same time.
Bob422

Post by Bob422 »

Ok, I installed version 3.13 of the TrackIR software and fired up my old profile. It works great, just like it did with the TrackIR 3 Pro. This will work for now under Windows XP, but when I'm forced to Game on Vista, I hope the SmartNAV software will work a little better.

I only use it for First Person Shooter games and mouse emulation is a must. Being a high level quad, this has been the only device that has allowed my to play these games. I hope to be able to continue to do so for many more years to come with your wonderful products.