Use with Dragon NaturallySpeaking

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
DanaBergen

Use with Dragon NaturallySpeaking

Post by DanaBergen »

I'm just starting out trying to use SmartNAV with voice recognition software, specifically NaturallySpeaking 6.1 on Windows 2000. I would like to be able to pause and un-pause the mouse movement by voice, but when I "press" a function key by voice, SmartNAV doesn't seem to receive it. It only works if I physically press the key. Pressing function keys by voice works fine in other applications.

Solutions or workarounds would be welcomed.

I'd appreciate hearing any other tips or known issues relating to using SmartNAV along with voice recognition.

Dana
Jim

Re: Use with Dragon NaturallySpeaking

Post by Jim »

Dana:

This is a good question to address in the boards. All voice recognition software requires you to "listen" to it, it doesn't just work right out of the box with all applications, and we haven't put in support for this feature as of yet. I understand that this would be very usefull. We plan to have this feature in a new release in the near future.

For today, the best thing you can do with Dragon is click via voice command. I have heard of other users doing this.

Overall, we think that using the smartNAV and Dragon together create a powerful combination.

Do you have a footswitch setup? You can map the Pause key or, if using Key Activated, the Move key to a switch input. This is a very good method of controlling the software.
DanaBergen

Post by DanaBergen »

Thanks for the info. I don't have a foot switch, but I'm thinking about getting one. A few more questions:

1) is it possible to "drag" objects using the track IR and a foot switch? That is, map the switch to left click, then hold the foot switch down while moving one's head, then release the foot switch (the same way you would use a physical mouse button to drag something)?

2) The documentation says, "switch clicking is only available with the trackIR EG and AT models". When I bought my trackIR in 2001 I think it was the only model and didn't have either suffix. It does appear to have a jack on the side where one could connect a foot switch. Do you know if I can use one?

Thanks,

Dana Bergen
Jim

Post by Jim »

Dana:

Yes, you can drag using the footswitch. Just assign a function to each foot switch button and away you go, just like a mouse.

If the switch jack on the side of the unit appears flush with the case then it should work fine, if it is inset from the case then it won't work. You can post your serial # and I can tell you what unit you have.
DanaBergen

Post by DanaBergen »

Alas, it is not flush. The serial number is 001352. Is there any foot switch solution short of buying an entirely new unit?

Thanks

Dana
Jim

Post by Jim »

Ahh, that is a oldie but goodie. It is an AT model.

That switch jack is beyond hope as it is wired in an old style on the inside.

I would be happy to offer you a discount on a new system, just call us at 888-865-5535 ext 11. The new units have other improvements in them as well.