Status of Linux drivers

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
mroth

Re: Status of Linux drivers

Post by mroth »

TrackIR/SmartNAV Driver For current RedHat Linux

I'm a long-time user of SmartNAV on Win XP. For most of my daily work, I'm probably soon switching to Linux (RedHat 9) and would like to continue the NaturalPoint mouse.

I've downloaded the lastest Linux driver, but did not get far with getting it to compile. I couldn't even get the very first step (configure script) to work [error appended below].

I've also downloaded the RPM-Package of an older version of the driver for an older RedHat version. While it installed some binaries and scripts, the device files are not there. Also, I can't find the firmware .hex file, without which the software can't work. The NatrualPoint web site only has a broken link to a firmware file. What's the issue with distributing the firmware file anyway? It is completely useless without the hardware.

If the Linux driver is in a usable state, could some kind user or NaturalPoint techie put together a distribution and step-by-step instructions on how to get it running?

I'd also be willing to pay for a RedHat 9 linux driver (say, $50 ), especially if it is in some way officially through NaturalPoint. I'll probably buy another TrackIR EG camera, footswitch and lotsadots (TM) if I can get it to work under a current RedHat.

Can anybody help? Reply in this forum or email me (roth@acm.org).
-Martin

Appendix:

Output from running "configure" for the trackir source distribution on up2date RedHat Linux 9:
mroth@roth-lt-linux> ./configure
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
: command not found/trackir-0.0.28/config/missing: line 5:
: command not found/trackir-0.0.28/config/missing: line 10:
: command not found/trackir-0.0.28/config/missing: line 15:
: command not found/trackir-0.0.28/config/missing: line 20:
: command not found/trackir-0.0.28/config/missing: line 25:
/home/mroth/trackir/trackir-0.0.28/config/missing: line 41: syntax error near un'xpected token `in
'home/mroth/trackir/trackir-0.0.28/config/missing: line 41: `case "$1" in
configure: WARNING: `missing' script is too old or missing
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh config/config.sub
heckle62

Re: Status of Linux drivers

Post by heckle62 »

I don't think the Linux drivers are ready for public consumption. I bought a TrackIR camera in hopes of using it in Linux. I've applied all the appropriate patches, but can't seem to get the thing running on my machine.

I am on the development list for this driver, but have yet to hear anything new from Zach about it.

The source code for the drivers is messy and has large sections that are copy and pasted. The patch assumes that devfs is present and breaks otherwise.

In short, I don't think the kernel patch is very reliable yet. There is still a lot of work to be done.

I haven't even tried the user-space programs for the driver yet. I have no idea if they work. I have no idea how calibration works. I know video plugins are broken right now.

For the camera to have a chance of running, you will need devfs.

Foot pedals and the like don't have a chance of working IMHO.

I had to call Jim at NaturalPoint to get the firmware file. You might have to do the same.

There are errors in the trackIR documentation, they tell you to put the firmware.hex file in the wrong place (f i remember correctly, they need to be in /usr/share/trackir/). I think the hotplug scripts are buggy as well-- I've had to edit them to get them working.

So, all in all, its a rough road getting things working in Linux. If you aren't a programmer, its too early.