Status of Linux drivers

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
Jim

Re: Status of Linux drivers

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Well, there is a nice driver set done from Zach, it even controls the cursor with dot movement. Try to get ahold of him through the above contact. We won't be programing for it, but I am sure that we can get some interest going somewhere to finish it all off. I know it is close.
dperik

Post by dperik »

I've downloaded the trackir package, patched my kernel, etc.

The INSTALL.trackir tells me that if I'm not using devfs (which I'm not) then I need to create the device node. I'd love to... I just need to know the major/minor number and device node names. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,
Dan
dperik

Post by dperik »

I take that back. I found the right major/minor device numbers, and made the devices. But I think I'm still missing something. Perhaps I need the device firmware. It looks like I would need to buy that. But 1. I can't find anywhere to buy it and 2. I'm only borrowing this trackIR from a friend (for a week) to see if I want one. Linux is my primary OS, so if I can't get it working under Linux, I guess I won't be buying one.

Anyone able to help here?

- Dan
heckle62

Post by heckle62 »

I am in the same situation, except that my trackIR is in the mail.

Have you tried this link?
http://www.naturalpoint.com/dev/proj_linuxdriver.htm
There are firmware files there, I believe.

Let me know about any troubles you have. I'll be where you are in a week or two.
dperik

Post by dperik »

They have links to the .hex files, but they've taken the files down.
In one of the files from the web site which hosts the trackir Linux modules, etc. it says this:

While many of the components supporting the trackIR under GNU/Linux have been licensed under the GPL, some proprietary components are only available as binary images. You must (legally) acquire a copy of the device firmware in addition to some user-space components. This either means purchasing a "Linux upgrade" for an existing trackIR devices or specify Linux as your operating system when purchasing new units.

I believe this references the .hex files in question. Without these, the thing doesn't work, or such is my experience. But I saw no where on the NaturalPoint website referencing a Linux-version of it's software, besides the page you referenced. So it seems we can't get there from here.

But I have it working under Windows in a VMWare window. I may be able to hack it, since under Windows, in VMWare, it loads the TrackIR with the firmware. The firmware stays there in the Linux host session. So I may get by with that, to at least test it out. I'll let you know how it goes.

- Dan
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

I can direct Zach to this post if you guys need some assistance, he should be able to resolve the issue. I will send him an email now.
dowobeha

Post by dowobeha »

I am very interested in purchasing a TrackIR, but won't until there is a stable version for Linux. I only run Linux at home.

I saw in an earlier post from 2002 that there was talk of making a stand-alone HID-compliant version. Has anything come of that?

Thanks,
Lane
dperik

Post by dperik »

That's the same with me. I've very interested in the TrackIR (to save my wrists), but if it doesn't work under Linux, then I won't use it. I had to give back the one I borrowed to try out (well... I was going to try it out, but couldn't becuase there's no organized Linux driver). Once there's a stable Linux driver, I'll probably put the money down to get one.

- Dan
chimaster

Post by chimaster »

Hi,

I've just had a quick look at

http://www.thewretched.org/trackir.html

Is this any good? I'd be very interested to be a beta tester for this driver as I have absolutely no programming skills to help develop :-p

How is advancement for this? and are there instructions for things like updating firmware etc..

Thanks

Chimaster
heckle62

Post by heckle62 »

That was the old site, the new site can be found here:

http://trackir.superlucidity.net/

I think it is in a working state, but its written for gentoo. It may also require devfs to work. I run debian sid without devfs, so I've yet to get it to work. I know at least one script needs to be rewritten before the package will work in debian or redhat out of the gzip (/etc/init.d/tird, just make a skeleton init file)

Compiling went well and wasn't a problem, and there seems to be lots of documentation.

I've talked to Zack over IRC (he posted to the developers group on the mailing list, irc.freenode.net, #trackir). This project definately hasn't been forgotten.

Has anybody else had any successes?

Rob