Status of Linux drivers

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
heckle62

Status of Linux drivers

Post by heckle62 »

Hi, I'm very interested in using your product to replace my mouse. However, I only run Linux at home. What is the current status of the Linux drivers? I searched google and your web site, but all I found was http://www.naturalpoint.com/dev/proj_linuxdriver.htm

which states the the drives are still in production, and this:
http://www.thewretched.org/trackir.html

which I found off a stale message under the old forums.

Is there a current driver for linux? Has anyone else had success with your product in linux?

In addition, how does one "click" under linux? Can that be done from the keyboard? Can the mouse be disabled/reenabled from the keyboard? Am I insane for wanting to try this?

At least I know the answer to that last question.

Rob
Jim

Re: Status of Linux drivers

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Sorry for the late reply. I opened this post in a new window and then crashed my machine, it thought I had already replied!

The Linux developement effort is well underway, more current than our web site for sure. I have played with the trackIR and smart-NAV on Linux myself.

You need to contact Zach Welch at zwelch@superlucidity.net He is the main developer for Linux and a big help to us.
heckle62

Post by heckle62 »

no problem, I too know the problem of Too Many Tabs.

I sent an email to Zach, but have recieved no reply as of yet. It's been about 1.5 weeks, and I'm about to write another email.

Failing Zach's response, how else could I get information about linux drivers? I'm really excited about purchasing your product, but its worthless to me if I can't download a driver.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Rob:

Strange, Zach is always very good about getting back to people. I haven't heard from him in a little bit, so I don't know what is going on. Send another email and let me know. Zach is the main man for Linux and trackIR.
heckle62

Post by heckle62 »

Well, it could have something to do with the return addres on the email I sent him. I sent him email from a yahoo account, and his software could have filtered it as spam. I sent him email from a yahoo and an edu site this time, so we'll see if either gets through.
heckle62

Post by heckle62 »

I never received any replies from Zach. Where are the Linux drivers?

Discouraged, I gave up on this project for about a month. Please understand that I am still very excited about your product. However, if getting information about your product is so tough, what does that say about the technical support?

Rob
Jim

Post by Jim »

Rob:

Zach sent me an email explaining that he is no longer interested in being the sole developer for the Linux drivers for trackIR. He said that they are 90% done, but need some finishing touches. You can download them at

trackir.superlucidity.net

you can contact Zach at trackir@superlucidity.net

We are intent on support the Linux development efforts of all our customers. Let us know how we can move forward on this.
heckle62

Post by heckle62 »

A link! This was exactly what i was looking for! Thank you!

If trackIR already has /dev plugins, then it sounds like progress is going well. I expect to order the trackIR in a week or so, and I'll play with it then.

If I still have questions, who should I send them to?

Thanks for all your time,
Rob
Jim

Post by Jim »

Rob:

You can send them to me, jim@naturalpoint.com and then I will forward them around the office to the right person. We don't have an internal Linux expert, but we do play around with it and FreeBSD.
mroth

Post by mroth »

It's been a while since the last post... Any update on the status of the Linux driver?

I'm getting to the point where most things I use in my daily work now work under Linux, so I'm thinking of actually starting to use it. One thing I definitely would miss is my TrackIR...

-Martin