SmartNav software update

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
eric

SmartNav software update

Post by eric »

When can we expect a new version of the software for the SmartNav?

There are a number of outstanding issues with the software. Here are some:
  • Support for standby and hibernate modes
  • Keystroke capture problems (particularly within DOS windows)
  • Minimizing to system tray
Jim

Re: SmartNav software update

Post by Jim »

Eric:

We will now be getting back to smart-NAV development, now that the new trackIR 2.0 software is out.

Your list of issues is posted on our development white board, plus a few others.
eric

Post by eric »

There are a number of outstanding bugs, and there has been no update since October, 2002!
eric

Post by eric »

As I asked before:

There are a number of outstanding issues with the software. Here are some:
  • Support for standby and hibernate modes
  • Keystroke capture problems (particularly within DOS windows)
  • Minimizing to system tray
Donald

Post by Donald »

Hello Eric,

We are working on the new version now, but I can't give you a date of release. The Smart-NAV software has to be almost 100% bug free before it can be released because this is the lifeline that connects users with disabilities to their systems. If the Smart-NAV fails, these users can't use their computer at all and so we take any changes to the Smart-NAV software extremely serious because of the potential impact they may have to our disabled users.

Hibernation and standby problems are known issues that may be out of our control to fix as there are several posts to Microsofts forums and knowledge base for this same problem with other USB devices.

The other two are on the list and will be addressed accordingly.
eric

Post by eric »

I'd be happy to help beta test a new release.

As for the hibernation and standby problems,
I have many other USB devices, and none of them cause problems with hibernation and standby. I have posted in the past my theory of what might be wrong with the driver that could be causing the problem. Also, I wrote a wrapper for the naturalpoint software that works around the problem, so I doubt this an intractable one. As a software developer with many years of experience, I would be happy to help you resolve the problem.

Also, perhaps you would consider making the non-proprietary portions of the software (the parts that do not directly relate to the dot tracking) open source, so others can contribute fixes.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Eric:

Just to clarify, we have tracked down some of the power issues to the actual hardware in the TrackIR. The TrackIR2 has these fixed, so we should be ahead of the game with the new hardware. There are many developments happening. I appriciate your offer of help.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Eric:

There are some issues relating to power in suspend mode on older TrackIR units, that are now called Smart-NAV. We are working to reslove the issue and will announce when we get it done. This is a priority for us.
eric

Post by eric »

You said some of the power issues were tracked down to the TrackIR hardware. Does this apply to the SmartNav hardware also?

In any case, do you have a policy yet to address this hardware issue for current owners of your products?