Processer priority in Windows 2000 Pro

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
michapma

Processer priority in Windows 2000 Pro

Post by michapma »

Hi all, just signed up to be able to ask a question about TrackIR, which I use primarily with Forgotten Battles and FS 2002. I didn't use the device for several weeks after purchasing it because it wouldn't run for more than a few seconds without getting a long pause. Then on someone's recommendation I tried it under the administrator's account and it ran smoothly. The result is that I have to use these simulation programs under the admin account, including when I am online, and this is not what I prefer to do.

I assume that the problem is related to the slotted processer time. I have tried to up the process priority under my normal Power User account but it doesn't work. Does anyone have a tip for me?

Thanks,
Mike
Charvel

Re: Processer priority in Windows 2000 Pro

Post by Charvel »

quote:Originally posted by michapma:
Hi all, just signed up to be able to ask a question about TrackIR, which I use primarily with Forgotten Battles and FS 2002. I didn't use the device for several weeks after purchasing it because it wouldn't run for more than a few seconds without getting a long pause. Then on someone's recommendation I tried it under the administrator's account and it ran smoothly. The result is that I have to use these simulation programs under the admin account, including when I am online, and this is not what I prefer to do.

I assume that the problem is related to the slotted processer time. I have tried to up the process priority under my normal Power User account but it doesn't work. Does anyone have a tip for me?

Thanks,
MikeI don't have much experience in this area as TIR has worked fine for me (for the most part) but I have heard that USB can cause similar issues to yours to occurr. Try removing all USB devices except TIR or re-arranging them on other available ports. This may not apply to your situation but it's worth a shot.

Also, I used to get pauses when I first set it up but soon figured out that it was just the unit losing track of the dot at more extreme angles. This is easily determined by seeing a yellow or red bounding box on the dot tracking page of your driver. Careful setup is necessary for full range of motion and perfect tracking such as having multiple dots on a rounded surface that can still be picked up by the sensor in the full range of your head movement.

Just a few things to look at, but good luck either way!
michapma

Re: Processer priority in Windows 2000 Pro

Post by michapma »

I always check the tracking when I open the software. It probably is some kind of USB conflict, hadn't thought of that. I wish I knew how to disable the other USB ports or switch them around, I guess I'll have to figure out how to do that. Thanks,
Mike