SmartNav support (not trackIR)

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
yerodin

Re: SmartNav support (not trackIR)

Post by yerodin »

Just wanted to add that I encounter the ZoneAlarm Problem, too.

ZoneAlarm Pro 4.0
SmartNav 2.2 Beta
Windows XP Pro
eric

Post by eric »

Has there been any progress with the ZoneAlarm windows problem? While a ZoneAlarm window is in the forground, NaturalPoint will not move the pointer.

The pause occurs even thought the advance window shows only one tracked object, and it continues to be surrounded by a green box the whole time. Also, the tracked object and the surrounding box move properly even though the mouse pointer stalls.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Hi Folks

I wanted to add that I have the zone alarm problem as well.

Zone Alarm pro version 4.5
Windows 2000 SP4
smart NAV 2.14

Being paralysed from the shoulders down means that when this problem occurs I can be stranded in front of an unusable computer for hours at a time. It would be really great if you could fix this ASAP as Zone Alarm (or another firewall) is a must have these days.

The only thing I can had to the technical side is that when I am using Dragon NaturallySpeaking. I can free the pointer that has been frozen by a zone alarm pop-up window by issuing Dragon NaturallySpeaking mouse commands. I have had the same problems with version 2.5 beta.

Otherwise the smartNAV is a great device for someone like me & works very well with my voice-activated software.

Thanks, Sean
Sean

Post by Sean »

I have been asked about voice activated s/w, this may be a discussion better suited to the sNAV general forum so I'll answer there.
Donald

Post by Donald »

Hello All,

I'm the sales/support manager and I have tested the free download version of Zone Alarm and was able to duplicate the problems that some of you were having with the Pro version.

One of the things I found was if I have the right click function active via the dwell clicker and click on the ZA Icon, the cursor freezes as soon as the pop-up menu comes up. - Using the standard left click function and navigating through the Start menu to activate ZA, I was able to control the cursor briefly in the ZA interface before the cursor froze.

I set ZA to allow the NaturalPoint.exe file to have full access in both local and server modes and checked all the settings I could

I will be giving my findings to development to see if there is anything we can do to fix this.
Donald

Post by Donald »

ZA has released an update to their software that fixes the cursor locking problem.
eric

Post by eric »

What version of ZA are you referring to? I have the latest as of now (4.5.538.001), and the problem is still there.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hello Eric,

Do you have the freeware or Zone Alarm Plus?

This is rather odd as I run zone alarm at home without any issues.

However I think that I may know what the problem is, are you running a SmartNAV unit?

I will need to look at my settings and see what is different.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hello,

I have tested Zone Alarm with SmartNAV with no problems. What happens in the case of the SmartNAV is that the Dwell Clicker is being refused access by Zone Alarm, and then freezes the curser locking the user out.

Shut down the NaturalPoint software and locate the two programs listed below under the Zone Alarm interface and grant permissions to both programs. Restart your NaturalPoint software and open your dwell clicker. The curser will now run with no problems.

Solution :
1) Set “NaturalPoint” with all server and Access permissions in the Zone Alarm setup.

2) Set “Glaze Clicker MFC Application” with all server and Access permissions in the Zone Alarm setup.