SmartNav support (not trackIR)

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
eric

SmartNav support (not trackIR)

Post by eric »

Has NaturalPoint abondoned support for the SmartNav? I purchased several of these devices, and encounter quite a few bugs in the software. The bugs were reported almost a year ago. In that time, there have been no updates to the SmartNav software, but there have been several updates to the TrackIR software. Do you now only care about gamers? An update to the SmartNav software is way overdue. If you do not have the resources to do this, then make the software open source, and at least let us fix the bugs ourselves!!!
Jim

Re: SmartNav support (not trackIR)

Post by Jim »

Eric:

Your point is well taken. We do have a new version of Smart-NAV software ready to go. I have personally tested it. It does incorporate your keyboard driver ideas as well. We are waiting to post it because of some hardware compatibility testing, namely that it works will all the versions of hardware we have out there. It should be up soon, by the end of the month. You can probably email Birch for more info or a beta copy. I think you have his address.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Eric:

The new smart-NAV software has been uploaded as a beta to the smart-NAV site. You can download it here:

http://www.naturalpoint.com/files/Natur ... eta_01.exe
eric

Post by eric »

What bugs were fixed in this release?

I tried the beta, and I noticed that the software still conflicts with standby mode.
The PC never recovers from standby mode if the NaturalPoint software is running when entering standby mode.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Eric:

Are you using the exact same setup for the new beta as you did with the old version? Are you logged in as Administrator?

Don't know about the ZoneAlarm problem.

The Suspend problem is still there and is on the list to fix for future product releases, this is a hardware problem.
eric

Post by eric »

In addition to the standby problems I mentioned, the beta also seems to pause frequently. Also, it seems to be incompatible with ZoneAlarm windows. While a ZoneAlarm window is in the forground, NaturalPoint will not move the pointer.

The pause occurs even thought the advance window shows only one tracked object, and it continues to be surrounded by a green box the whole time. Also, the tracked object and the surrounding box move properly even though the mouse pointer stalls.
eric

Post by eric »

Yes, I am using the exact same setup for the new beta as you did with the old version.

Yes, I am logged in as Administrator?

Forgive me, but I am somewhat doubtful that the suspend problem is a hardware problem -- especially since I wrote some software to work around the problem. The software detects that the computer is entering standby mode and shuts down the naturalpoint software. It later restarts the software when recovering from standby mode.
If I can write external software to handle this problem, surely you can integrate a fix directly into the software.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I asked if you were Administrator because we have had "pausing" problems if you weren't.

The suspend feature in USB is a hardware problem, but the software could be made to shutdown and restart, the USB device just won't come back. If I am wrong about this then I am surprised.
eric

Post by eric »

With my software, the SmartNav works fine after leaving standby mode. The trick is that I added a delay (about 20 seconds) before restarting the NaturalPoint software. That gives the hardware sufficient time to reinitialize, I guess.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hmm, that is interesting, perhaps the USB read threads are timing out and then restarting?