Can't install

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
Nightcargo

Can't install

Post by Nightcargo »

Saw the post below. I'm using WinXP Pro and can't install the drivers. I keep getting the "Unkown USB Device" problem. From the other post I see reinstalling Windows was the answer. Is there another way to fix this? By reinstalling do I have to do a complete Format C:? If not, will I loose everything by doing the reinstall without a Format? It seems pretty dumb to have to do this. What's different from my first install of Windows to this one?
reevans

Re: Can't install

Post by reevans »

I have the same problem with WinXP Home and can't seem to get the system to recognize the driver. I downloaded the version 2.20beta and tried that. Same problem. Hmmmm..... maybe the fault is with the WinXP interface. I got the warning that this software/driver wasn't recognized as being authenticated by Microsoft. It looks like our favourite programmers from NaturalPoint will need to do some more homework.
Donald

Re: Can't install

Post by Donald »

Please try these steps if you are getting the unknown USB device message:

Short version, Try this first.
=================================
1) Leave the camera plugged in and go into the device manager and remove the unknown USB device - close device manager
2) Reboot
3) The found new hardware wizard should start when the system comes up
4) Go through the wizard both times
5) Reboot
6) Start the NaturalPoint software and play to your hearts content.

Do this if the steps above don't work
============================
1) Leave the camera plugged in and go into the device manager and remove the unknown USB device - close device manager
2) Unplug the camera unit
3) Uninstall the old version of the software
4) Reboot
5) Unplug any extraneous USB devices (joysticks etc...) leave keyboard
and mouse plugged in
6) reboot again
7) Install the latest version of the software from our website.
8) reboot
9) Plug camera directly into a USB port on the computer. No extension cable or hub - Unit should now be recognized and drivers load.
(The Found New Hardware wizard may start).
10) Click on NaturalPoint Icon. - Cursor should now move as you move your head.
11) Plug other USB devices back in - All should be recognized
12) Play to your hearts content.

Last resort if the first two procedures don't work
=================================
1) Unplug the camera
2) Do a system restore to a time period before the first time you tried to install the Software -
Click on(Start/program/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore)
3) after the reboot, your system will be back to the way it was before ever trying to install the software.
4) Install the latest version of the software from our website.
5) reboot
6) Plug camera directly into a USB port on the computer. No extension cable or hub - Unit should now be recognized and drivers load.
(The Found New Hardware wizard will start).
7) Click on NaturalPoint Icon. - Cursor should now move as you move your head.