Pre-Purchase concerns

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
birdseye

Pre-Purchase concerns

Post by birdseye »

I have RSI and my right arm is totally unusable for any computer application.

I am debating between the Smartnav and something called the nohands mouse, which is a foot based device.

Questions for smartnav:
What package do I need for the 2 button footswitch to work?

How easily precise can you be? I'm using my lefthand instead of my right currently due to tendonitis, and I'm finding even using a hand not used to using the mouse not very accurate. I am a little slow and have trouble being precise.
I do mostly audio work on the computer which frequently required very fine motor movements, such as splicing peaks of waveforms, programming in beats in a matrix of boxes that trigger samples, etc. In short I do a lot of repeated fine motor, and I need something that I can accomplish this *as fast* as a regular mouse

I understand this device would take some time to get used to, but for those that have used the device for an extended period, how good did you get with it compared to a regular mouse?

Why is the trackIR cheaper? Can it be used for normal windows likke the smartnav?

I browsed around online, and many reviews complained about precision.

Has anyone tried the nohands mouse (footmouse)?

Any way to get a money back guarantee through purchasing it not direct from smartnav to save on price?
dowdm

Re: Pre-Purchase concerns

Post by dowdm »

I have ALS so at least you have a hand to use. I also worked until recently for IBM so you could call me a computer geek.Anyway I wanted to give you my opinion on accuracy. It is very good. If you want to contact me directly with other question feel free to drop me an email.
Donald

Re: Pre-Purchase concerns

Post by Donald »

The Smart-NAV AT or Smart-NAV EG are needed in order to be able to use any external switches.

The AT is a complete hands free computer control system which includes the on-screen keyboard for typing and the dwell clicker for clicking. The AT model also accepts external switch inputs via the small jack on the side of the camera unit. A single switch with both left and right buttons can plug directly into the unit while single button switches will need to use the Y-Cable which is included with the unit.

The EG does not include the Dwell Clicker.

As for the difference between the TrackIR and the Smart-NAV. The Smart-NAV units can run BOTH Smart-NAV and TrackIR software whereas the TrackIR can ONLY run TrackIR software and will not accept external switch inputs. The TrackIR is designed very specifically to enhance the gaming experience mainly in Flight Sims and First Person Shooter games.

The Smart-NAV software is designed for users that have RSI's or other disabilities that restrict the use of a standard mouse to give them back this functionality. It has much better speed and smoothness algorithms and is accurate to a single pixel.

I have talked with users that have said they were able to get back to typing over 40 words per minute with the on-screen keyboard.

Both units do come with a 30 day money back guarantee.