Standyby Mode

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
hch.metzendorf

Standyby Mode

Post by hch.metzendorf »

I've downloaded and installed version 2.5. But I'm wondering why I still can't get the computer out of the standby mode when SmartNav is active. I reported this bug a year ago, and I thought this would have been fixed meanwhile. When using SmartNav with a loptop computer it is necessary to be able to use standby to save battery power.
Jim

Re: Standyby Mode

Post by Jim »

Hello:

We are aware of this problem on some laptops. It is being address in an upcoming release of software / hardware. That is the best I can tell you right now.

One solution is to simply close our software before you suspend the notebook, that usually works.

[ February 08, 2004, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Jim Richardson ]
hch.metzendorf

Post by hch.metzendorf »

This problem occurs also on my desktop PC. But there I'm not in urgent need of the standby.

As I'm handicapped, I can only o operate a computer by SmartNav (thanks for this great tool!). When closing SmartNav the laptop-PC may go into standby after a time of inactivity. But then I can't move the cursor to tell the computer to come back from standby. And I also wouldn't be able to start SmartNav again.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Okay, I understand the problem. There are some ways to turn off the Standby Mode in BIOS or the system config. We will solve this problem soon.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hello Kike

Just to further what Jim said, if you are running Windows XP?

Please carry out the following…

Go into the Device Manager and expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers and select the USB Root Hub this may also be called USB 2.0 Hub Root depending on the computer.
Right click with the mouse to bring up properties. Find the Power Management; here you will need to uncheck the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
I have found that on some computer configurations you need to uncheck all the USB Hub Roots because it will not always remain individualized from the rest depending on the computer and the power management settings.
This should then allow the USB bus to remain powered and SmartNAV will be available should your system go into standby.

Wayne
hch.metzendorf

Post by hch.metzendorf »

Hello Jim,

Thanks for your advices, but there may be a misunderstanding. On my desktop PC I don't need standby as there is no battery power to save. But on my laptop PC which I'm using as a mobile communication device I have to save energy to run it longer time on battery. On the other hand, I need to have the laptop PC quickly ready to use. Standby Mode would allow this. Therefore turning off Standby Mode in BIOS wouldn't be of any help.

Hello Wayne,

Thanks for your instructions which I followed. But this didn't change anything. After I set the laptop PC in Standby Mode, SmartNav doesn't "see" the dot. The green light stays off, and clicking (what I can do with my kee with a special button) doesn't make the computer coming back from Standby either. Even when someone pushes the start button (actually it's tablett PC with no keyboard), which normally tells the computer to come back from Standby, nothing happens. Then the PC has to be switched off and started again. When closing SmartNav before, as Jim suggested, the Standby Mode works properly, but which isn't a solution in my case.

It must be a problem of some interference of SmartNav software with Windows. On my desktop PC which is running on Windows 2K, it's the same. After setting it into Standby Mode is doesn't come back when someone presses a key on the keyboard. Instead the computer has to be restarted. You may check this if it's the same on your PC.

Kike
Sean

Post by Sean »

Kikie

having a look at your posts regarding standby mode it occurred to me that the reason for your needing to conserve power on your tablet PC might be that you use it while in a wheelchair. Are you in an electric chair...... if so then get someone to look at running the tablet PC from the wheelchair batteries.

Wheelchair motors usually run on 24 volts supplied by two 12 volt DC batteries. Most laptops have 12 volt DC input, although you should check this on the charger for your tablet PC.

If you can get this running the tablet PC could run for a week or more from the batteries on your wheelchair :-)

Good luck