trouble with V 2.51 AT

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
Martin Pistorius

trouble with V 2.51 AT

Post by Martin Pistorius »

Hi there,

I'm a long time user of the Smart-NAV; in fact I bought it when it was known as the Track IR. I'm a massive fan of the Smart-NAV, particularly as I happen to be a person with a significant disability and the Smart-NAV has provided me with fast, reliable and efficient pointer access to my computer.

For quite some time now I've been running version 2.14 basically since it was released. With the exception of an occasional problem where the Smart-NAV just stops detecting the dot, I can't complain. (If you�d like more detailed information about this issue I experienced just let me know)

In any case last night I downloaded and installed version 2.51 in the hope that it would resolve the issue I mentioned above, however the cursor is slightly erratic. Nothing dramatic but enough to make it difficult for me to click on the desired object. I've played around with the smoothing and speed options and still it's not right. I'm now considering, uninstalling V 2.51 and re-installing V2.14 despite the issue.
My problem sounds similar to txguy's but not quite as severe!

I'd really appreciate any help with this issue.
I have a Compaq Presario 2716EA Notebook, running Windows XP professional. I have a Smart-NAV (Track IR) AT Serial no: 002240

Thanks,
Martin Pistorius
South Africa
Donald

Re: trouble with V 2.51 AT

Post by Donald »

Hello Martin,

Unfortunately we have not been able to determine exactly what causes these erratic movements, slowdowns and delays. I can sit here all day and say that the problem is in XP but asking someone to uninstall their OS is pretty much unacceptable based on the programs that are coming out.

We do know that you MUST HAVE administrator level privileges whenever you are using the device or else it will be erratic.

We also know that XP Pro typically has fewer problems with this issue than XP Home edition however it is not 100% the case. The other problem is that the problem very rarely goes away by reverting back to a previous version of the Smart-NAV software. XP is a very complex program and very sensitive to the order in which drivers are installed and registry setting alterations.

We are working on a complete rebuild of the Smart-NAV software that has numerous updates and very specific coding to deal with the complexities of XP which we hope will solve most of our XP problems.

I know this doesn't help you now, but the best option I can give you is to completely clear the registry of all NaturalPoint and Smart-NAV entries and then try reinstalling the 2.14 version you had before.