PC Freezes

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
Ajay77

PC Freezes

Post by Ajay77 »

Hi

I have a problem with my smartnav device. For some reason whenever I play games or movies on my pc, the computer seems to freeze after 20 - 30 minutes. I bought the device when it first came out in 2001 and have had no problems with it until I upgraded my pc to windows xp. I am also confused about which software I should be using as now there is the Trackir and Smartnav when before there was only one software/driver to download.

I am not sure if the problem is because I updated my software to trackir software 3.3. Should I be using the Smartnav software?

Anyway I tried installing version 2.51 but my pc still freezes when playing games. Even if I am playing a movie on my desktop then it freezes after 20 minutes.

I thought it might be my graphics card overheating but I got someone to play the same game for over an hour on my pc without the naturalpoint device and it was fine. It is not just one game but any game with high specs I play.

This would mean that there is some driver issue with the Smartnav device.

Can anybody advise? Or has anyone experienced a similar problem?
My pc spec is:-
Pentium 4 2.4GHZ
512MB RAM
128MB Radeon 9000 series Graphics Card.
Abit IC7 Motherboard

Regards,
Ajay
Donald

Re: PC Freezes

Post by Donald »

Hello Ajay,

It's possible that your unit coincidentally started to go out at around the same time you upgraded to XP. The only real way to tell, would be if you can install your unit on a friend's or relative's system and see if the same thing happens again.

If it does, then your unit is starting to go bad and you can already see what it's doing.

If it works fine on someone else's system, then I would say it has something to do with the drivers or configuration on your system, possibly a memory leak in one of your programs causing you to gradually lose resources.