SmartNav 3 Freezes or lost pointer

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
bowlzi

SmartNav 3 Freezes or lost pointer

Post by bowlzi »

I have just installed my new smartnav 3 hardware and software and have noticed frequent lags or freezes of the mouse pointer.
After one or two seconds the pointer will come back
This also happens when I have used the absolute positioning option.
There is no problem with a smart nav not being able to see the reflector when checking it with the camera view.
I am using Windows 2000
is this a known issue with the latest release of the software?
kevin

Re: SmartNav 3 Freezes or lost pointer

Post by kevin »

Hello Paul,

While there are no 'known' driver issues, there are a few things you could look at;

The first is to check and make sure your login account has admin rights on your box. Sometimes the drivers try to access certain keys and if you dont have admin rights they can cause your mouse to pause.

Also please check to make sure your smartnav window is minimized. If it is not minimized it still has that little graph that tracks your movements and can eat up cpu.

Along those lines are you doing anything cpu intensive when these lag/pauses occur? Or are they totally random? If you are moving a window or other activity that causes cpu load to increase you may notice a lag or pause.

If you are still having problems please post and let me know.
bowlzi

Post by bowlzi »

Yes i do have Admin rights.
i have noticed while typing this that it seems to be when i lean down to type and it has lost the reflector. when i look up again is when the lag happens (sometimes as much as 5 - 10 secs delay)
the pause while typing option is set to 0.0.
cheers
Paul
Birch

Post by Birch »

Can you open the Tracking tab of the control panel and check to see if anything else is visible in the cameras field of view, both before and after you move? If it is possible, can you take a screenshot of the tracking window and post it to the forum?

Thank you,
bowlzi

Post by bowlzi »

Yes (derrr..)
there was a picture at the back of the office that was causing the problem.
because i was used to the old smartnav camera view that showed objects more, i thought that the small dot was just the camera screen not updating

Thanks for your help

Paul
Birch

Post by Birch »

You might also consider reading the section on "sunlight filtering" in the manual, if you have not already - it may be of use. (Section 4.2.6)
jeffnord

Post by jeffnord »

I am having the same problem of my mouse pointer skipping and freezing. I have administrator rights, however, I do have moments of intense CPU usage due to the voice-recognition software Dragon NaturallySpeaking. I am also using the natural point click switch, which also creates pauses and freezing of the mouse pointer.

I recently upgraded from the original natural point that I purchased in January of 2004. This natural point worked with the voice-recognition software without pauses in the mouse pointer.

I look forward to any ideas in resolving this problem, it severely decreases my productivity.
kevin

Post by kevin »

Jeff,

Will you please open up your SmartNAV software, then go to control panel, and then the clicking tab. Do you have 'double click assist' enabled? If so this could be a potential cause of your problem. When this box is checked a small pause is inserted after single left clicks to make it easier for you to double click.

Also, what is the status of the LED's (both status and IR) when the unit is pausing and freezing, are they blinking on and off?

You can also try giving the software Realtime priority. To do this you open up your task manager (ctrl+alt+delete, then click on task manager), go to the processes tab, find the SmartNAV.exe process. Then right click on it, go down to 'Set Priority' and select Realtime.

Please respond if any of these ideas help or if you are still having issues

-Kevin
jeffnord

Post by jeffnord »

Thank you for the help with the double-click assist. That has definitely gotten rid of the pauses I feel during clicking.

I have made the real-time change, but I still have pauses in mouse movement when I open programs or use Dragon NaturallySpeaking. I have watched the LEDs when this happens, and it remains a constant green.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jeff
kevin

Post by kevin »

Glad we were able to help out a little. Lets see about getting it working with no pauses at all.

What is the serial # of your unit, and software version you are using?

Also what kind of computer is this?

Will you please open up the task manager and see what the CPU load is during these pauses?

Do you have the SmartNAV control panel minimized as well?

Just trying to nail down the potential cause for these paises...