One year of SmartNav3 AT Hell

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
brewer

One year of SmartNav3 AT Hell

Post by brewer »

I purchased your product 13 months ago. I purchased this HP DV9000CA laptop one year ago or almost, the date is several days away. I'm a quadriplegic who desperately needs a product like this to work for me or else I can't operate a computer in any way on my own. This isn't just some toy for me it helps me control and fully control the only thing that I can control on my own in this disabled life. I'm paralyzed from the shoulders down.

I have written complaints about this product in the past and you can read them in this forum. SmartNav crashes my computer as often as three times a day. Last summer I was so fed up that I decided to send the computer back to HP because this was living hell; it had to be the computer. HP sent it back sometime later after doing all the tests that they do to with it and reported no problems whatsoever. I know three other people who have this model of computer running XP media, as I am, who also reported no problems. I'm the only one using SmartNav. They love their computers.

After suffering at least 50 crashes if not more, a certain foundation loaned me a separate product known as Head Mouse. It's a lot like SmartNav and uses a separate piece of software: Dragger 32. This product is twice as expensive but I've got to tell you my computer never so much as even freezes while I'm using this. Every once in awhile when I feel like I have not suffered enough in this life I have someone hook up Smart Nav up for me just to see how long it will take before the computer crashes completely. It is very often on the second startup. I use Norton ghost so it's easy for me to restore my setup. Does anybody else out there face this problem with this model of computer and the software that SmartNav uses? I spent a fair bit of money buying this product and every time I reinstall the product it wipes out my XP media. After one year I've completely given up and I have tried every remedy that has been offered up in this forum. I need assistance. Can you guys look up the specs of this computer on the HP website and tell me what could possibly be the root of the problem? Your software and this computer are incompatible for some reason and I want to know why because the product is still new and I want to use it again. The Head Mouse product that I am now using and have been for months is only on loan to me and I cannot afford to dish out $1000 to buy it. I'm really stuck and I can't take it anymore. It's been one year of this hell and I need a solution. Please someone help me. I'm at the end of my rope.
VincentG

Re: One year of SmartNav3 AT Hell

Post by VincentG »

Could you please send me your unit serial number?
dkehler

Post by dkehler »

I feel for you. I really do, as much like yourself, I depend on my SmartNav to be able to operate my computer.

I haven't gone back to see what you have tried, but have you tried updating the drivers for your motherboard? Strangely enough, my wife has an HP computer, though it's a desktop not a laptop, and she has been having a problem with a USB wireless adapter similar to what you are describing. Perhaps HP's USB implementation is buggy on certain devices.

All I can tell you is not to give up hope because the SmartNav actually does work very well for me, and I'm on my computer (a custom-made desktop) almost all day every day.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Just a quick note to jump in here, we have seen problems with HP laptops USB connections before, and on more than one product. One laptop had the BIOS updated and it fixed it, but for others there seems to be some sort of problem. We haven't seen this on any other laptops that we know of.

We will work with you to solve the problem, please send your serial # into Vince. Also, please email support directly so we can work out a solution and find what is going on with this setup.