Vista and User Account Control

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
whiz

Vista and User Account Control

Post by whiz »

I use Vista (32-bit) and normally have User Account Control(UAC) enabled. My SmartNav 3 unit works fine up to the point when I need elevated privileges for installing software or performing other administrative tasks. Once Vista pops up the UAC prompt and while working in administrator mode SmartNav stops tracking. Once I return to normal user mode everything is fine again. Is there any way to get SmartNav to work in administrator mode as well ?
VincentG

Re: Vista and User Account Control

Post by VincentG »

Have you set the SmartNAV software to run as an Admin?
whiz

Post by whiz »

Actually, I did not.

I now went to the Compatibilty tab of the Properties dialog of SmartNav.exe and checked "Run As Administrator". This fixed the problem. The only time the mouse pointer won't move now is when the actual UAC prompt is on the screen. While being in Admin mode things work fine.

Unfortunatly, this change also has a bad side-effect. The SmartNav software won't auto-start any more upon logon. I always have to start it manually, confirm the UAC prompt and then it launches. Did I choose the right approach to run SmartNav with admin rights ?
tb220

Post by tb220 »

A workaround for the first issue would be to disable the specific UAC prompts you are referring to without completely disabling UAC by using software such as TweakUAC.

I think our friends at naturalpoint need to start signing their software, so that your second issue is solved.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

The software is signed. The issue is with the Admin rights with Vista itself.
whiz

Post by whiz »

I have found out that the automatic startup is actually prevented by Windows Defender. When the you log on a little icon will appear in the taskbar that shows all blocked startup applications and allows you to run them. Unfortunately, this will have to be done on every startup. I have not found a way to tell Windows Defender to permit the automatic startup of an application. The Windows Defender dialog in the Control Panel for whatever reason only allows you to disable a startup application.

Windows Defender also considers SmartNAV an unsigned application as evidenced by this line in the SmartNav properties: "Digitally Signed By: NOT SIGNED"

By contrast, my AntiVirus software for example has an entry that looks like this: "Digitally Signed By: VeriSign Class 3 Code Signing 2004 CA" and as a consequence starts up just fine.

I don't know what certificate you used for signing the SmartNav software but it is not one that is accepted by Windows Defender. My guess is that it will have to be signed by one of the Trusted Root Certificate Authorities, e.g. Verisign, Thawte, to be adequate. Self-signed software probably won't do it.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Our software is signed, by a root certificate authority. The issue maybe that it isn't windows logo signed as well. Which is also a digital signature.....