Problem RE-Installing SmartNav

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
jjckjjck

Problem RE-Installing SmartNav

Post by jjckjjck »

Hello everybody I need some help getting my SmartNav Serial 33719 working again using SmartNAV_3.20.028.exe

It worked fine for a couple of months then my Laptop (Acer 2023WLMi XP Home Fully Updated) had some problems and I moved over to my Old Dell Inspiron 2500 Win 2000 Service Pack 4 fully updated.

I could never get the SmartNav installed on the Dell.
Windows could never find the drivers for the unit.
I spoke to Support personnel and after trying a lot of uninstalling and restarting and looking at log files etc he concluded that it is because the usb ports do not supply enough power.

I now got my Acer working again completely reformatted with Xp Home now fully updated. I tried installing the SmartNav but I am having exactly the same problem as on the Dell. Windows does not complete installing the drivers even if pointed to the SmartNav driver folder.

The unit used to work perfectly on this machine before the reformat. I tried the remove usb device, uninstalling software, restarting twice, NPregfix etc but no go.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

JK

[ May 09, 2006, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: jjckjjck ]
jjckjjck

Re: Problem RE-Installing SmartNav

Post by jjckjjck »

Can no one help? Tech Support?
kevin

Post by kevin »

Hello,

Are you plugging the unit directly into the laptop USB ports?

Does the NPRegFix utility say it found any units to be fixed?

-Kevin
jjckjjck

Post by jjckjjck »

Hi Kevin,

Yes I am plugging it directly into the usb port just where it was before the reformat of the harddrive and re-installation of Win XP, like I mentioned it worked perfectly fine before on the same machine and it also doesnt work on my other laptop.

NPregfix says it doesnt find any devices to be fixed.

Johann
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

We are working to identify and address this problem, jjckjjck. This issue has not been reported by anyone else. I will mention to our head programmers.

If you have tried the unit on multiple computers it may be a faulty unit. This is rare but does happen.

Please contact me directly (by phone or email) and I will arrange to get you a new unit.

We are sorry for the inconvenience. I will post again in this thread if/when we learn more.

[ May 16, 2006, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint-Warren ]
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

I just talked with our lead programmer, and he said : It would be useful to know how the device shows up in the device manager (doesn't show up at all, shows up with an exclamation point, shows up with "unknown usb device", shows up with "smartnav", etc). Can they send a screen capture of this?

Just wanted to mention.
jjckjjck

Post by jjckjjck »

Hi Warren,
I have been wiriting to forumhelp@naturalpoint.com. Is this box controlled?
I also sent the screen grab and installlog there.
Cheers
JK
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

I'm sorry that email was going to an employee who is currently out of the office. I've fixed it to fwd my way, and will reply over email.
thanks, sir.