Linux support?

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
tecimovic

Linux support?

Post by tecimovic »

Before I dish out $300:
Can someone explain to me whether the smartNav acts just like a completely normal USB mouse to the PC? So it would run on Linux?
Or does it require some funky drivers? If so, do they exist for Linux?

All I have is Linux boxes, so I'm looking for some ergonomic solution which natively works for Linux. I would really like to find something that looks just like a USB mouse to Linux, but I'm sure there's some calibration software, etc, so I want to make sure this device works under Linux.

Cheers,
T
kevin

Re: Linux support?

Post by kevin »

The SmartNAV does not act just like a normal USB (HID) mouse. It requires special drivers which are not yet available for Linux.

Thank you for your interest in the SmartNAV.

Best,
Kevin
blgrz

Post by blgrz »

Hi,

I am willing to pitch in, and help a bit with the Linux port. For free and for fun. I am very much interested in using this product on Linux.

Would you accept that ?

:-)
spellbin

Post by spellbin »

Hello. As a computer science student I am constantly using the linux operating system. I am looking to purchase a smartNAV system this coming semester due to continuing dehabiliting tendonitis.

The linux platform is my primary OS and support for smartNAV is critical for my future.

Can I look for linux drivers at any time in the future?

Can I help and lend some of my experience to develop linux drivers?

Thank you.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

The NaturalPoint hardware has been tested and it is possible that complete
drivers and software could be written for Linux. However, we currently do
not have any publicly available supported drivers for it. We are very
interested in providing support in Linux, though are unsure
of the market and its ability to provide a return on the investment that we,
or a developer would make.

If you are aware of any potential funding resources, willing developers, or
market information we would be very happy to explore them. As far as market
information we are looking for specific numbers for what the assistive
technology / alternative input device market is for Linux and number of
users with special needs on Linux, and overall demand for such devices on
Linux.

Until we have a better idea of what the level of demand is or have a
developer who steps up and is willing to take the project on, there will not
be publicly available supported drivers for the SmartNAV or TrackIR.

Again if you know of any resources or people we should talk to please let us
know.
nebokazer

Post by nebokazer »

did you have a look at

http://www.thewretched.org/trackir.html

you could try to contact the author:

tmilker@thewretched.org

or, most simple, just release the interface documentation; no investment at all, if anybody cares to develop it's free for anybody, if nobody does no effort is waste

why not?

[ August 29, 2006, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: nebok ]
kevin

Post by kevin »

We have worked with a number of developers interested in developing Linux drivers. While you can find unsupported drivers for gen 1 & 2 devices there is no support for later devices.

We have sensitive information in our interface documentation that we are not interested in releasing publicly. Any developer interested in making drivers would need to follow some specific guidelines we have established for developing the drivers. We have not found such a developer yet, though are always looking.

Thanks for the post and please check back periodically.

Best,
Kevin
mips

Post by mips »

A workaround for the missing Linux drivers may be to use a Windows PC (or Mac) as a terminal, and use something like VNC (free at http://www.realvnc.com/) to access the Linux desktop remotely.
wpvanpaassen

Post by wpvanpaassen »

Hi,

I'm very interested in the smartnav and would already have bought one (plus one for work), if it had had drivers for linux.

Remember that by providing these drivers/documentation, every linux distribution will work with the smartnav out of the box. This could really lead to some new and interesting uses/applications.

I think providing linux drivers could be a big opportunity. Especially now, over here in Europe, (local) governments are gradually switching to open source software and linux.

http://europa.eu.int/idabc/en/document/3223
and
http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/jsps/index.js ... Text=linux

Just my two cents,

Kind regards,

WP van Paassen
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

We have worked with a number of developers interested in developing Linux drivers. While you can find unsupported drivers for gen 1 & 2 devices there is no support for later devices.

We have sensitive information in our interface documentation that we are not interested in releasing publicly. Any developer interested in making drivers would need to follow some specific guidelines we have established for developing the drivers. We have not found such a developer yet, though are always looking.