Linux support?

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
manfromx

Re: Linux support?

Post by manfromx »

Well I really hope one does come out. I think having an open source mentality with this could only help. Like you have graphic driver standards (OpenGL, DirectX), having something similar for tracking devices other than mouses would be a boon. Whether or not Naturalpoint or a future competitor does this is the question .

Though, the more devices like this out there, the more software gets developed for it the more use I get out of my investment . That's a win-win-win!

Having an edge in this market is a great thing and I love my TrackIR, let's see what you guys do with it though!
Vantskruv

Post by Vantskruv »

I've turned over from Windows to Linux (Kubuntu). And I'm very comfortable and satisfied with this new system, I'm so satisfied that I've installed Kubuntu on my mothers computer, and she likes it more then Windows, and she is very bad on computers. Though I'm disappointed over the lack of support from hardware-manufactures, but I think it is getting better. I really hope you will make some support for this OS. For now I don't have any use of my TrackIR, which is sad because it's a good product. I really hope to get use of it in Linux, only if I found some drivers...

Edit: I forgot, I'm using the TrackIR Pro hardware. But there should be drivers for that hardware too.
Ceres

Post by Ceres »

Has the software been tested using wine in linux? Wine could significantly lessen the cost of getting this product working on linux.

www.winehq.com
Ceres

Post by Ceres »

I don't have hard figures for you guys, but I am a system administrator for a company that provides assisted living to adults who are mentally retarded or have developmental disabilities.

The software we use for our clients is linux based. If your product worked with linux, I would be a regular customer, willing to give testimonials & the whole bit.

Pity
rayisok2

Post by rayisok2 »

I have one of the first trackIR's, it was about time to upgrade, but since i started using Ubuntu Linux, for me no more Naturalpoint.
Add that to your ROI...
Ray
risharp

Post by risharp »

I am on my second SmartNav EG. I had looked at trading in my SmastNav 3 ER on a SmartNav 4 EG. But it looks like that is not going to happen. I am currently running Vista on this machine. I have been running Ubuntu Linux on my other machine and as soon as the new hard drive arrives for this machine I will be running Ubuntu on both machines.
I noticed several years ago that Naturalpoint became very mercenary about thier products and the original idea of assisting the handicapped went down the tubes in favor of money.
I do not look for Linux support from Naturalpoint. It is more trouble using my computers without SmartNav but a lot less pain not using Windows.
Hossebo

Post by Hossebo »

any updates yet?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Thank you for your continued interest, but we currently do not have any updates regarding the SmartNAV and Linux. As soon as we do, we will be sure to post any updates.
Hossebo

Post by Hossebo »

but I have been waiting for almost 4 years now
and you don't have linux support or Mac support
so is it going to happen ever?
Birch

Post by Birch »

Hello,

There are no updates on Linux support, however support for SmartNav on Mac OSX has been available for years.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/smartnav/products/mac.html