Compatability with Windows 98se

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
lugnut

Compatability with Windows 98se

Post by lugnut »

I have used this product for about three years, it's terrific. I normally use it on my own computer which has Windows XP installed. However, I recently tried to use it on a different computer that has Windows 98SE for an operating system. The software loads normally, but when the camera is plugged in the computer freezes and I get a blue screen that says something to the effect of the computer has performed an illegal operation. Reboot etc. etc.. It doesn't matter whether you plug in when the system up or is turned off.
I haven't included the serial number of the camera for the sake of expediency.
But, the computer response makes it appear as though SmartNav isn't compatible with 98SE. Is this correct? If not, what am I doing wrong? Either way, I can live with the answer.
Lugnut
    kevin

Re: Compatability with Windows 98se

Post by kevin »

The SmartNAV is compatible with 98SE. You may want to make sure the unit is being plugged directly into the USB port on the motherboard and not in to a hub.

Please make sure you have the latest drivers for your unit installed as well.

Best,
    Kevin
    lugnut

Post by lugnut »

This is a Sony �book�size processor that is about six years old. It only has a single USB port. I do have the latest software version. Unless someone has a better idea, I'll just assume the computer isn't compatible.
    Thanks
    kevin

Post by kevin »

If you can try a powered USB hub that may work.

You could also try getting a third party PC MCIA USB card. Not sure if it would be worth it though.

I know we have SmartNAV units working with Windows 98x.